New Lounger
    Thanks

index structures (XP)

I am looking for documentation on how Access internally does it searches and indexes. I am taking a database class and they are studying the structures of database indexes. Any information or pointers to documentation would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: index structures (XP)

I'm afraid that is something that Microsoft treats as proprietary information. Recent versions of Access included something call Rushmore technology that originated in FoxPro, which gave them a decided performance boost for a desktop database engine. But the internals of Access are pretty well hidden. There is/was a book that dealt specifically with the Jet engine that might shed a bit of light on how some of it works, but I've not seen any documentation on the actual structure of indexes.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans and Wendell, thank you for your replies. Your responses were more informative than the private Microsoft support bulletin board for Access. I have been designing and using databases for 25 years ( I still have my copy of Access 1.0) but to get teaching credentials for college, I had to go back to school for a masters, my MCSE and MCDBA don't count. If I can return the favor, please let me know.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As Wendell mentioned, the internal workings of Access are proprietary information. There is an old paper that sheds some light on this: ACC97: Microsoft Jet 3.5 Performance White Paper Available in Download Center. It is for Access 97 / Jet 3.5, but I suppose much of it is valid for later versions too.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The book I was struggling with is Microsoft Jet Database Engine Programmer's Guide (Microsoft Professional Editions) by Dan Haught, Jim Ferguson and you can see some details about it at Amazon. Our copy seems to be in hiding at the moment, but the Amazon description indicates it does have a section about Rushmore optimization.
    Wendell