Lounger
    Thanks

change look of icon

I have placed folders on my desktop and in quick launch and would like to change the look of them.
    Can this be done, if so how.
    I would like to use a different color or a photo or what ever would be possible.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: change look of icon

Sure. Right-click the current icon, select Properties and then Change Icon. You need to note then when you Browse for a selection you want to use, you'll have to choose the file type you want to look for: icons, libraries, etc. You won't (to my knowledge) be able to use "pictures" per se.

Lounger
    Thanks

COOL!
    I forgot that the icons were.
    Thanks for your help!!
    Stevo

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

There is one problem -- at least in earlier versions of Windows (Win98):

1) I believe the right-click method only works for shortcuts. For the Quick Launch toolbar, this is very appropriate since those should be shortcuts. However, for folders on your Desktop, there is no option to 'Change Icon' under Properties.

2) Folders can be assigned special icons -- for example, look at the Favorites folder or the History folder. But to do that is a little more difficult. It involves using more sophisticated techniques. You need to create a "desktop.ini" file:

[link:msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/custom.asp|Using Desktop.ini Files]

Folders are normally displayed with the standard folder icon. The most common use of the Desktop.ini file is to assign a custom icon to a folder. This icon will be displayed in Classic style as well as Web style, and it will appear next to the folder's name anywhere the name appears. You can also use Desktop.ini to create an infotip that displays information about the folder and controls some aspects of the folder's behavior, such as whether it can be shared.

The MSDN article describes how to use the desktop.ini file to assign a folder a unique icon.

You will note:

"The .ico file extension is preferred, but it is also possible to specify .bmp files, or .exe and .dll files that contain icons."

So, in theory, a picture (photo) turned into a .bmp file could be used as an icon for a specific folder.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Oops, You're right R2, I had forgotten about the desktop folder thing. But just in case Stevo is interested, the way I workaround this problem is to put folders elsewhere, like say on the Start Menu or somewhere in Windows Explorer. Then I put SHORTCUTS to those folders on the desktop, from which point I can change their icons. The attachment shows a few where I keep "frequently used" shortcuts for things on a topic I like. Thanks for straightening out my misdirection!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I actually believe your method is the BETTER (and clearly easier) solution. I do exactly that as well, but for different reasons.

I don't like to put 'storage' folders on my desktop, instead I place them in a special 'storage' hard drive partitiion and then stick links (shortcuts) to those folder on my Desktop. The "Desktop" folder is on my C:/ drive, and I try to keep only necessary OS files on that partition. That way I won't have a 'space' problem on my little C:/ drive.

Also, it is rumored that the more true objects you have on your Desktop, the slower your computer runs. I never actually investigated this, but it has been rumored for awhile -- so perhaps for voodoo reasons -- I still follow that guideline!

However, to make the icon a .bmp of a photo, I suspect you have to use the Desktop.ini method. I believe converting photos to .ico files is likely going to result in far too much loss of detail to be useful.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys!
    I like the idea of using a shortcut and it works so nice.
    I also wondered if it is true about to much on the desktop.
    Thanks again, Stevo