2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstalling the Registry

Long story short; after purchasing an HP all-in-one printer etc, we had trouble getting all the features installed. In the course of working with an HP rep via email, he/I managed to delete a folder from the registry. It caused severe delays, error messages and most of the features (Copy and Pasting files) are lost. How can I do a non-destructive recovery of the registry so that a full reinstall is made unnecessary?

Thanks

Re: Reinstalling the Registry

You could try to import data from a backup, but actually I have no idea how to do that. What key/subkey got deleted? More than just HP stuff:?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

That is very interesting. That page essentially says you can use regedit.exe to "Import" the entire registry in Win2K. I did not think this was possible, but who knows... I certainly have never tried it. But, the page clearly says, "After a bit of moaning by your hard drive you will have the "safe" Registry you backed up before whatever change you implemented didn't work."

I don't believe Microsoft mentions this method of restoring the registry in any of their articles. However, Microsoft does describe other techniques to Backup and Restore your registry here:
    HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows 2000

But, you will note to fully restore your registry, the article makes it sound like you might need to use an "Emergency Repair Disk" that you made in advance:

"To back up the whole registry, use the Backup utility to create an Emergency Repair Disk (ERD), or back up the System State (which includes the registry, the COM+ Class Registration database, and your boot files)."

To create an ERD, see this: How to Create an Emergency Repair Disk in Windows 2000

The other alternative appears to be to Backup and Restore the "System State", as described in this article:
    HOW TO: Use the Backup Program to Back Up and Restore the System State in Windows 2000

But all of these seem to expect you to have prepared something in advance...

However, isn't there an option to restore the "Last Known Good" configuration -- even if you did not plan something in advance?? This is apparently a "Startup" option and is briefly described here:

A startup option to use when the system cannot start in normal or safe mode following a driver or application installation that causes a problem. By using the Last Known Good Configuration, you can recover by reversing the most recent driver and registry changes made since you last started Windows XP Professional.

And also here:

Last Known Good Configuration
    Starts Windows 2000 using the settings (registry information) that Windows saved at the last shutdown. Use Last Known Good Configuration only in cases of incorrect configuration. It does not solve problems caused by corrupted or missing drivers or files. All system setting changes made after the last successful startup are lost.

So... perhaps that might be useful.