Star Lounger
    Thanks

Form/Template Wizard Questions (2000 - no SP's)

After several attempts at coming up with a solution, I'm thinking an Excel form linked to an Access table might work (as a temp solution to a huge data collection problem here at work--I'm not in charge).

My questions:

1. I previously created data lookups based on a list in a separate worksheet--how can I use this lookups with the linked database (it has to be an Excel form)?

2. If I can utilise these lookups, is it possible to convert them to text values (as it is in Excel)?

3. I do not create forms very often in Excel--I usually use Access. However, I'm assuming it's best to stick with the Form controls and avoid mixing the VBA controls? If so, do I just use a plain cell as input--especially since the text box control on my Forms menu is never available?

Any tips for a novice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

S.O.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form/Template Wizard Questions (2000 - no SP's)

1. You can import data from an Access table or query using the Data/Get External Data/New Database Query... menu option. The resulting table in Excel will be linked to the data in Access, but you must update manually using Data/Refresh Data (or click the button with the red exclamation mark in the External Data toolbar). You can use this table in Excel for your lookups just as any other Excel table.

3a. For simple forms, take a look at Data/Form...

3b. If you want to build a "real" form in Excel, you must activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11) and select Insert/UserForm. You can link controls in a UserForm to cells on worksheets.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form/Template Wizard Questions (2000 - no SP's)

Thanks for the reply, Hans.

S.O.