Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Splitting DB--concerns (2000 & XP)

I've read several posts on the subject of splitting a database and the advantages of doing so. Especially helpful was Wendell's link to "Why Split a Database?" I'm now poised and ready to carry out this task, but I have at least one concern.

At present, I've got everything running from a shared directory, and five work stations can use everything. One key piece is a linked table. This table links to an Excel spreadsheet that contains information about our students: names, employee IDs, student IDs. As things now work, if someone is using the application at, say, work station A, no one else can use it. One improvement I'm seeking is to make it possible for more than one user to operate simultaneously. Once I've split the database, is there anything special I need to do to make this possible? In particular, in what way will that link to Excel be affected?

As I look at this project through the eyes of an Access novice, I can see how splitting a DB might keep a wayward colleague from fowling up my DB. What I don't see is how splitting will necessarily enable simultaneous use. I could have two or three operators trying to access that linked spreadsheet, for example. Isn't there more to this story?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Splitting DB--concerns (2000 & XP)

Access is inherently a multi-user application, but Excel isn't, although it's possible to share a workbook. The problem you have isn't going to be alleviated by splitting the database - the problem is with Excel, not Access.
    It would be best to migrate the student data to Access. If that isn't possible, can you live with importing the spreadsheet periodically (say, once every week, or every day) instead of linking it? An imported table doesn't have the problems a linked Excel table has.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Splitting DB--concerns (2000 & XP)

A-ha! I had a sneaking suspicion this would be the case. Luckily, it's not a problem to import that spreadsheet vs. linking it.

Thanks, Hans!