Thread: CD rom

Lounger
    Thanks

CD rom

after loading a new cdrom in the pc I now find that it will not recognize either drive D(cdreader) or drive E(cdwriter),have I missed something when replacing the cdreader??

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD rom

Ricky, I'd first try to remove any CD writing applications, because it's not uncommon for such programs to muck with the system drivers for your optical drives.

When you say "won't recognize" do you mean that you can't see the drives at all in Windows, or that they will not read CDs? If it's the latter, do you receive an error message?
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Well I removed all cdwriter progs but when I open

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

How did you physically connect your CD-ROM? Are jumper settings right? Does your system BIOS recognize your CD-ROM?

Banned Member
    Thanks

<font color=blue>A(floppy) and D(harddisk)</font color=blue> Did you set your hard drive up to D: ? Most the time it will be set to C: unless you set it up differently. D: & E: are normally CD-Rom drives if you have no other hard drives. Just curious. Try running Add /remove hardware from your control panel.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If this problem is still outstanding, did you correctly set the jumpers on each drive when you fitted them? It's worth another look just to make sure. For optimum performance, I recommend setting the CD-Writer to Master and the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM to Slave. Also make sure the IDE cable is correctly seated at both the drive connections and on the motherboard.