5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using data on a subrpt in a calculated control (AccessXP)

I am working on a report that involves a subreport. From the subreport I want to sum the control PaymentAmount with the control to show the results group header on the main report. Using the expression builder I entered this in the control =Sum(subrptPayments.Report!PaymentAmount).

Thanks for the help. Fay

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using data on a subrpt in a calculated control (AccessXP)

Off the top of my head you may not get what you expect because of the order in which the infromation in a sub report/report is generated.

You could try using a domain aggregate function (DSum) that totals the related records using the link master field e.g. in the text box type (all on one line) something like

=DSum("[EnterSubFormTableNameHere]","[PaymentAmount]","[EnterLinkChildFieldNameHere] = " & [EnterLinkMasterFieldNameHere])

This assumes that the linkmasterfield is a numeric field

if it is a text field then you may need something like...

=DSum("[EnterSubFormTableNameHere]","[PaymentAmount]","[EnterLinkChildFieldNameHere] = ' " & [EnterLinkMasterFieldNameHere] & "' ")

notice that there are no spaces between the ", the ' and the second "

they are included here only for clarity.

Let me know if this helps...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Another approach is to put a control in Report footer of the subreport.
    This can be set to = sum([Paymentamount]), and name it something, ctrSumofPayments

If this seems to work OK, you can transfer the result back to your main report.

In the control you previously created , use the expression builder again to set the control source to be the control in the footer.

You can't refer to the subreport directly, because it is open within the main report. You will find that there is a + next to the report name, and double clicking that will list any subreports. click the subreport, and you should see the total field.

If all is OK, then finally shrink the subreport footer and its control so you don't see them.
    Regards
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay I got the first half set with a control called SumofPayment on the subrpt. Using the Expression builder it gave me this for the control source for the textbox located in the =Sum(subrptPayments.Report!SumofPayments) control source. But it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Fay

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The control SumOfPayments in the report footer of the subreport should already sum the payments in the subreport; its control source should be something like =Sum([Payment]).

If this is correct, the textbox in the main report only needs to refer to the SumOfPayments control:
    =[subrptPayments]![SumOfPayments]
    You shouldn't use a Sum in the control source of this text box.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hans has answered your questions.

In case it is still not clear I attach a small sample.

The control source of the control in the main report is:
    =[rptPaymentssub].Report!ctrSumofPayments

One thing you need to be careful about. When you place a subreport in a report, the subreport is displayed within a control on the main report. The name of that control may not be the same as the name of the subreport it contains.
    When you refer to things within the subreport, you refer to them by the name of the subreport control rather than the name of the subreport.
    (In the example I attach both names are the same so this problem does not matter)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards
    John