2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost tiff viewer (Office XP)

I use MS Office's Document Imaging and Document Scanning tools a lot. (I scan all my bank and card statements then throw them away.) Recently I wanted to crop a scanned image. I am SURE that I used to have a Kodak (?) imaging program that could do this and it could also add mark-up features like yellow sticky notes. I came across it last summer while exploring my upgrade to Office XP and Windows XP and I made a mental note that it would be useful one day. Now I can't find it.

Does anyone know what I saw and can they point me to it? BTW, it's no use pointing me at the MS Photo Editor. This accepts tiff files, but MS Document Scanning outputs tiff files that also contain the text it has OCR'd. I don't know if that is the reason, but Photo Editor can't open the Document Scanning program's tiff files and nor can PaintShop Pro (version 7).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks

Re: Lost tiff viewer (Office XP)

JSI Tip #5876: You cannot view a TIFF image using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer in Windows XP? doesn't offer much in the way of a solution, but does suggest the viewer came with W2K (I certainly remember it).

You may find some useful links here at The Unofficial TIFF Home Page.

What OS were you using when you had the Kodak viewer?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost tiff viewer (Office XP)

Thanks Lief,

It seems that the Kodak Image Viewer was included with every version of Windows up to and including W2000. My guess is that the "Windows Image and Fax Viewer" that is included in WinXP is the intended replacement.

Thus educated I re-examined this viewer and, in the help file, it says that it displays a mark-up toolbar if the loaded image can be marked up! This must be the program I was looking for!!!

Sadly, this Windows Image and Fax viewer also refuses to open tiff images created by the MS Office Document Scanning software. What a let down. It displays the forlorn message 'preview unavailable' and just sits there.

Anyway, thanks for pointing me to the JSI tips site. I did my own search in there and, in tip #6114, I came across this clue: "Imaging for Windows Professional Edition (PRO) is now provided by eiStream Technologies, Inc. For more information about this product, visit the following eiStream Web sites..."

Thank goodness for broadband.