Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Register Control (A2000)

I have a habit, to keep my db as lean as possible, of creating a new empty db and importing all tables, forms, queries etc etc.

Each time I do this I have to register DAO 3.6, not too much of a problem.

I also use " Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP4) " for a progress bar embedded on a form.
    This one is annoying to register. I have to go to any form and from the tools, select Progress bar 6.0 and embed it temporarily.
    Once I've done this I can then choose the correct reference from module|references.

Is there a more perminent way to register the control ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Register Control (A2000)

How about the following:
    <UL><LI>Create a new empty database. Name it something like Boilerplate.mdb
    <LI>Set references to DAO 3.6 and Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP4).
    <LI>If you have utility modules and/or macros you use in each database, import them into the boilerplate database.
    <LI>Store the database in a utility folder. Make a backup copy for safety.
    <LI>Next time you need a blank database, don't create a new one, but make a copy of the boilerplate database and use that.[/list]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Additional note: in Access XP, you can create a new database from an existing one in the New database task pane. So you could create a new database from the boilerplate database directly, instead of having to copy it first in Windows Explorer.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmmmmmmmm

Sounds like that could work, but won't there be a problem if the db go's runtime ??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Why? There is no difference between creating a new empty database and setting references manually, and making a copy of the boilerplate database with the references already set, unless you are creating the new empty database on a machine with a different installation from the one the boilerplate database was made on. But you may run into problems anyway if you move databases between PC's with different installations. For example, the Common Controls library is in C:WinNTSystem32 on my NT4 machine at work, and in C:WindowsSystem on my old Windows 95 PC at home.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    Thanks again, I'll look into it.