Thanks

Cause of connection loss

For months I have been railing at the
    All help gratefully received!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Cause of connection loss

Do you have the most current Win98 drivers for the modem? I've seen Win98 machines do some strange things with modems that only seem to disappear with a boot. It is like the port or modem does not get reset properly at the beginning of the dialup sequence. Your PC should be just fine to handle dialup connections. You need to remember that Win9x based OSes do not handle many tasks active at one time. If you have applications which do not terminate gracefully that will cause problems. What is your resource availability when you have problems? What version of Excel are you running? Do you have the latest Office service pack applied?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Joe:
    I went looking for drivers some while ago: made no headway with the Conexant website but found a database where dozens of people had uploaded Conexant SoftK56 PCI drivers that could have been right but were all different - I didn't dare try to pick one. The driver in use, presumably selected by WIN98, is comm.drv of 23 apr 1999.
    I haven't got an Office service pack .
    Excel version is 97 SR 2 (l)
    Installed memory is 96 MB
    System resources available 52%
    C: drive has 2.8 GB free.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Conexant SoftK56 PCI Driver I have used this driver for an older machine I fixed for someone and it worked real good. It won't hurt to try it. You can always go back to other one if it don't.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, perhaps the generic driver was the cause of my problems.
    It

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You may also need to look at your TCP/IP files. The best way to check them is really just replace them. What I would do is uninstall DUN (DialUp Networking). You can do this through the control panels Add/Remove programs.

Check to see if you connection improves. If not, the next step is to replace the Winsock .dll's. There is a nifty utility on 98 called System File Checker. To run it, click Start, then Run, and type sfc and Click Okay.

When it loads, you will want to replace 2 files on your system. (I may be wrong on these names, but they should be close enough for you to find the files (I don't have a 98 machine around right now to check). One is ws_32.dll, and the other is wsock32.dll. SFC will need the location of the files (they are in your system32 directory), and the location of your CAB files. (Either CD, or many people have their cabs on their hard drive.). It will also prompt if you want a backup of the ones you are replacing...that's always a good idea. Also, after you replace the first file, tell it to NOT restart. Then replace the second file, and after that finishes, let it restart your machine.

In 98, replacing your winsock files once in a while can help with dialup and network connections quite a bit.