Lounger
    Thanks

eliminate duplicates (2002)

I have two tables with some linked fields. However, both fields can contain duplicates - thus I have a many-many relationship. I want to select records from both tables, but not to display duplicates. Is this possible ? If so, how do I do the query ?

Many thanks for any help

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: eliminate duplicates (2002)

Open the query in design view. Click in an empty part of the top half of the query window, and activate the Properties window (View/Properties). Its caption should read Query Properties. Set the Unique Values property to Yes. This will eliminate duplicates in the query result.
    This corresponds to the DISTINCT keyword in the SQL statement (SELECT DISTINCT ... FROM ...)

Lounger
    Thanks

I tried that but I am returning fields which may be unique. It's only a few fields which end up duplicated (username and serial number for instance). I want to only display one of these - and I don;t care which one.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, set the Unique Values properties to No again, but make the query into a Totals query (View/Totals, or click the button with the greek capital Sigma). Set the Totals option to Group By (the default) for those fields whose distinct values you want to group by, and to First for those fields where you don't care which value you see.

If this isn't what you want either, try to explain what you want in more detail, preferably with an example to illustrate it.

Lounger
    Thanks

I think that's done it. Many many thanks

Alan