Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2000 docs in 97 (latest version of 97)

My search effort (back through 11/02) didn't locate a direct answer, so here goes:

I was sent a virus-free (checked OK on both ends) Word 2000 document as an attachment via Outlook Express 6. It opened fine in Word 97, and I could edit it with no problem, but when I tried to save it, it crashed Word 97 (eternal hourglass; "not responding"). When I tried to copy the text from it and paste it into a Word 97 document, I could edit it, etc., but trying to save it yielded the same result. Trying to save it as RTF also didn't work. Is there anything I can do to manage this on my end, or do I have to warn senders to "save as" a Word 8 doc before they send it?

Thanks for all thoughts,

Herb Silverberg

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2000 docs in 97 (latest version of 97)

Hi Herb:
    I assume from what you say that you can edit & save the document in Word 2000. I wonder if there's some corruption--particularly if you have complex tables in the document or section breaks.

Can you paste any portion of the Word 2000 document into a Word 97 document & then save it? I would try pasting some small portions of text & see if this helps to isolate any potential corruption.

Also, what happens if you insert, rather than copy & paste the Word 2000 document into a Word 97 document? This action essentially copies it without the final paragraph mark.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hello, Phil . . .

Thanks for your thoughts. Trying to save snippets doesn't seem to work. I'm having trouble with the insertion experiment because I can't find the document as a file -- it came as an Outlook Express atachment and I can't seem to track it down via the search function in XP Pro. I had the sender e-mail it to me after she saved it in Word 97 format and it works fine that way.

Herb

Thanks

There should be no need to ask people to save as Word 8, and Word 97 should be able to read a Word 2000 document just fine, except for a few features that Word 2000 newly supports that Word 97 doesn't (like a table within a table, for instance). It's more likely that the document had got corrupted for some reason.

I use Word 97 at work and we had a document the other day that I had created and then another user had edited (both using W 97). When I came to open it again it crashed Word every time as soon as I tried to do anything. My colleague who had edited it tried, and it did the same for him. I had hoped to try the round trip to an RTF file as that often cures a corrupt document, but I couldn't even do that. But I remembered that I had recently read on www.thewordexpert.com that often you can cure corrupt documents by opening them in a later version so I took the offending document to a PC running Word XP, it opened just fine, I saved it as an RTF, closed Word, then opened the RTF in Word again and saved it under a new name as a Word file once more. When I took it back to my workstation and Word 97, all was well.

Ian