5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DEFRAG ERROR MSG

Hi, when doing a defrag in safe mode, I get a ILLEGAL OPERATION message and it shuts down DEFRAG. I am running WIN 98 1st edition. Any suggestions???

Thanks

Re: DEFRAG ERROR MSG

Restart in DOS and run a full Scandisk from the Dos prompt, including a surface scan.

See 199557: Command-Line Parameters for the Scandisk Tool

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Leif, I did that and am in the process of defraging. So far so good. What does the SCANDISK do that "solves" the illegal operation" issue with DEFRAG? I had run a thorough SCANDISK from Windows twice before (including surface scan). I had also run System File Check and found no problems there.

Thanks for your help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello again Leif,

Did the Scandisk and then ran Defrag - completed without a hiccup. Thanks for the help.

Thanks

It was probably a slight blip on your hard disk - maybe a deleted file that wasn't quite deleted or a small section of the hard disk had gone 'bad'.

When you run the defragger, the system collates all the fragments into single lumps. If, however, it comes across a fragment it can't relate to any other, or a section of HD it can't write to, it understandably gives up the ghost.
    Running Scandisk checks the identity of all files, and fragments of files, and optionally offers to save lost and found data - usually a pretty pointless excercise unless you have the ability to make sense of this saved information.
    The surface scan checks the read/write credibility of the HD, marking as 'unusable' any bad areas.
    Running Scandisk from DOS allows all files to be checked, including those that would normally be locked when running your OS.

In all likelihood it was a damaged file so old you never knew it existed. But I would recommend running Scandisk on a regular basis - once a month at the very least. It can save a lot of heartache.