Star Lounger
    Thanks

Auto Text (Word XP)

can u make an auto text for specific formatting.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Auto Text (Word XP)

Have a look at <post#=218480>post 218480</post#>

The relevant line reads:

If you create an AutoCorrect entry that contains a field, symbol, paragraph mark (), imported graphic, or an object other than text, Word preserves the entry's original formatting.

Alan

Star Lounger
    Thanks

What I am looking for is something that was in wordperfect and now that we are in Word xp I need to know how to do it in the best possible manner. I want to set up an indent on both sides. In wordperfect it was the keystroke F7 you hit it twice and it made the text indent from both sides. Let me know what you think.. Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Word uses styles to apply formatting consistently. Select Format/Style..., and create a new paragraph style with the settings you want. If you want it to be available in all documents, you can put it in a template, now or later on.
    You can apply a style to paragraphs by selecting them and choosing a style from the Style dropdown list on the Formatting toolbar. You can also assign a style to a keyboard shortcut or custom toolbar button. Select Tools/Customize..., Commands tab (I don't have XP, it might be slightly different).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you I will try that.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry. I misunderstood what you were after. As Hans says, styles are the key to the effect you're after. You'll want to create a new style (I have one for this purpose named "Indent LR") using
    Format -> Style... -> New...
    In particular, you'll need to
    Format -> Paragraph
    to get the indents you're after on both sides. The "Style for following paragraph" will determine what happens when you hit Enter when typing in your new style (continue on with left/right indent style or revert to Body Text/Normal).

There are some good articles on the Word MVPS site under the "General" tab, for ex-Wordperfect users. Worth a look!

Alan