New Lounger
    Thanks

Sadhound - which Outlook versions are affected? (?)

In today's WOW (8.04), Woody talks about a bug in Outlook that misrepresents attachments with three file extensions. I tried to duplicate this in Outlook 2000SR1, but could not. A Google search reveals that this the virus vendors are referring to this as the sadhound trojan, but the reports are mixed on whether this is an Outlook Express or an Outlook bug. I'm thinking this is only an Outlook Express bug, but Woody doesn't say which versions of Outlook are affected, so I can't confirm.

Does anyone know the scope of this?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sadhound - which Outlook versions are affected? (?)

I don't think it matters. Both Symantec and McAfee usually say if there are specific products/versions involved. In this case they don't. But OLXP "should" be OK since it hides attachments with the extensions the puppy uses (so far as I've seen); thus it wouldn't have a chance to run in XP.

Thanks

According to Trend Micro's Virus Encyclopedia entry, this has been "detected" since 1/25/03. If people update their AV files at least once a week, we all should be okay. Hmmm... what are the odds of that? (If you click through to the description of the payload, BKDR_IRCSDBOT.O, it's pretty bad.)

New Lounger
    Melbourne, Australia, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

Hi,
    Woody refers to an article in Register and the Register is referring to a MessageLabs news item (http://www.messagelabs.com/). The Message Labs news item only mentions Outlook Express and actually states that the "vulnerability was only exhibited in Outlook Express, not in Microsoft Outlook."
    I hope this helps.