New Lounger
    Thanks

Word Locks Up When Changes Highlighted on Screen (W2K SR1)

When a coworker and I try to access a certain file on the network which was saved with changes highlighted on screen, Word locks up and we have to close the application. This same file, however, can be opened by several other users without incident.

When the file is saved with changes not highlighted on screen, my coworker and I can open the file without incident. However, if we turn on highlight changes on screen, Word again locks up. We do not seem to have this problem with other files created from the same master.

I went through all the compatibility options, but cannot pin down the problem. Can anyone shed some light on what is happening.

Thanks for any help.

Gerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Locks Up When Changes Highlighted on Screen (W2K SR1)

Hi Gerry.

I think you can assume that your problem is 'par for the coarse' with TrackChanges. I avoid it whenever possible. I use DeltaView from Workshare Technology instead. You might try giving the document a new binary file. Open a new document, go to Insert, File and locate the corrupted document. Good luck.

Kyle Knowles, eSubmission Publisher
    Connetics Corporation.

Thanks

Any one file can get corrupted. Unless you find a pattern, it's very difficult to say.

What happens if you open the file without the changes being visible and Reject All? Word then should display the previously hidden deleted material. If Word locks up, perhaps something that was deleted is attempting to access an unmapped drive or pull from a downed server... in other words, perhaps there is a content retrieval issue and not a program bug or corrupted document.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Jeff and Kyle - thanks for your responses

Let me add some additional info regarding the process. I place a file (small 15 page) on the local network and several users open the file, make changes, and save a new version of the file by appending their initials.

I then open each file individually and consolidate (copy/paste) changes to the master file. The file I have a problem with is always from the same user. I have no problem opening any of the other files when changes are highlighted on the screen.

If the problem file is saved with highlights not appearing on screen, I am able to open it. What I have learned is that once I have it open, make changes, and save it, I am then able to open it and turn on highlights.

Other users are able to open and close this file without incident, why is it that only my coworker and I seem to have this problem. We are all using the identical software version and to the best I can determine, our options are set the same.

Thanks again,

Gerry

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gerry,
    I don't have an answer, only a methodology. Since there are only two of you who can't open the file & you've checked all the compatibility options, perhaps the two of you have an add-in or something that conflicts. See <post#=197827>post 197827</post#> for a series of steps to take. I would skip the Data key step at the end, as that seems highly unlikely.

By the way, did you try Jefferson's suggestion about rejecting changes & trying to open the file?
    Hope this helps,