New Lounger
    Thanks

1706 warning Office Sr-3 upgrade (Word/Office 2000 SR-1)

When trying to upgrade Office 2000 after downloading SR-3, the Windows Installer asks for the Office SR-1 disk. "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" & "Click OK to try again, or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package 'data1.msi' in the box below". In spite of inserting the disk and leading the path to E:/ Office / Ena/data1.msi , I still receive the messages:

"Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1. The Windows installer cannot continue. "

When I click OK to this error message, I receive the following error message:

"Installation ended prematurely because of an error."

PLEASE NOTE: The disk is an indirect backup of the original Office disk: The original disk was first copied to my hard disk. After installing a CD-RW it was later copied from the hard disk to the CD-R disk.

Please help out. Thanks, James

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 1706 warning Office Sr-3 upgrade (Word/Office 2000 SR-1)

Hi James:
    Insert the original CD. I'm not sure you can do it without the original CD. Nevertheless, here are a list of kb articles that discuss the error message & workarounds. I'm not sure if it fits your problem exactly.