Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Strange MSConfig entries

Since yesterday (Feb 5th) my machine has been behaving badly (GPF blue screen), and an inspection with MSConfig reveals a few items that I didn't expect to see, or a few that are duplicated.

My current plan, before my few remaining hairs fall to the keyboard, is to rename or shuffle the following out of the way.

I know what TweakUI is, but I won't miss it. Not until it can tell me why it has TWO entries in the Startup tab of MSConfig.

I have previously disabled the little buggesr by normal means with MSConfig, but they came back. Like the mouse in the cornflakes cupboard.

<pre>c:windowssystemmdm.exe (good explanation here, thanks!)
    c:windowssystemmstask.exe (good explanation here, thanks!)
    c:windowssystempowrprof.dll
    c:windowssysteminternat.exe
    c:windowssystemtweakUI.cpl
    </pre>

Comments, as usual, would be appreciated.

Win98/SE, 733MHz, 64MB (I think), 20G; Realplayer installed on the 29th Jan, but deleted today, and I reverted to the System.dat and User.dat at start of business on the 29th Jan.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Strange MSConfig entries

I found this on the Webb. You might give it a try. Read more about it here Win98 System Restore

<font color=blue>Try to restore the registry to a date Win was working:
    From safe mode with no drivers, restart in DOS and type this command

scanreg /restore

Then choose a date it was working.
    Uninstalling all your software will not help, it always remain some registry settings.
    You could also use regclean (download from Microsoft), this deletes orphan registry entries after an uninstallation. </font color=blue>

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> scanreg /restore

Thanks. I have already tried this. I make backups from a DOS Batch file very early on in the boot process. I rolled back to Jan 29th, prior to my most recent instalaltion of software.

I have since removed offending entries from THAT registry. That's what is surprising me. This errant behaviour didn't start the day 9after) i installed the software - it waited almost a week.

And no, I don't believe it is a virus or such. I believe that something has instaleld itself and is rippling my system.

AFAIK only PowrProfile is still lurking, but i am armed with a rolled-up newspaper .....

>use regclean

Yupper. I use TonyArts regClean

Banned Member
    Thanks

Have you tried Spybot Or Adware?{ Spyware remover} Man thats a weird deal you got going. Is there any snapshots you could provide. Are there any error codes its giving you. What is some of the other problems it's causing?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Chris, I'm having a hard time imagining that any of the programs you listed would be causing you to get GPFs. I've NEVER had a problem with TweakUI and powrprof.dll is related to changes you may have made in Control Panel Power Options. Internat.Exe says it's a multi-language keyboard manager. Have you setup more than one language in the Keyboard app of Control Panel? I guess I'm kinda with Cowboy on this - looks like you've either got some dirt bag or something else in your system causing this problem. Can you give us a screenshot of your MSCONFIG Startup to look at?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Internat.exe is either an expected file used for "bilingual" machines -- or you have a trojan. Please see this:
    PWSteal.Netsnake

"Please note that there is a legitimate Windows application called %windir%systemInternat.exe. The Trojan file is 82.5 KB in length and uses a zip file icon. The "real" Internat.exe is generally about 20 KB in length with a "?" icon."

Just a thought...

Also, to get a better handle on what exactly is happening in your Startup axis, may I recommend using a program (applet) named "Startup List" from SpywareInfo.com. This is not another Startup Manager, but instead it creates a .txt file that list all the thing that are starting with your computer. It is an invaluable tool at deciphering problems. Run it, create a list, and either post it or attach it here.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chris:
    I can shed (maybe) on some of your questions.
    1. mdm.exe is Machine Debug Manager.

You probably have files on your system similar to:
    fffef179_{A146D820-E79E-11D3-854B-00C0F0382C4B}.tmp
    fffef179_{A146D821-E79E-11D3-854B-00C0F0382C4B}.tmp (actual name varies)

Files are courtesy of Visual Studio, Front Page 2000, or Office 2000. To stop them from being created, rename the MDM.EXE file located in the WindowsSystem folder. To my knowledge, there will be no adverse side effects in doing this. Also, you can safely delete the temp files you mentioned.

If you do change the name, go in to the System Configuration utility (Start | Run | msconfig.exe), go to the "Startup" tab, and uncheck "Machine Debug Manager".

If you should later need the Debug Manager, reverse your steps.

2. mstask.exe
    In Win 98 SE, msconfig lists on the startup menu, a scheduling agent, mstask.exe. It *is* the scheduling agent. If you double-click it you should notice an icon appear in the system tray, unless you already have it running. Double-clicking _that_ icon will bring up the list of scheduled tasks.

3. Some entries, like LoadPowerProfile, exist more than once. It has a registry entry under both Run & RunServies that load at different times during bootup.

If they are coming back, you might look under the respective applications themselves to see if there's an option to "load when windows loads" & uncheck it.

I'm not sure why TweakUI would have two entries, unless one is unchecked & is under Run- (as if it was once taken out of startup) or if you manually put it in. You could try unchecking one & see what happens.
    Cheers,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> Have you tried Spybot Or Adware?{ Spyware remover} Man thats a weird deal you got going.

cowboydawg, thanks for this reminder. I have an Ad-removal, but haven't yet worked out how to incorporate it into my regular batch job of maintenence.

Lavasoft AdAware 5.83 identifies

1) Cydoor (I've been seeing this for months now)
    2) Alexa (this is new to me).

I have removed, and will continue to remove, both.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> Chris, I'm having a hard time imagining that any of the programs you listed would be causing you to get GPFs.

Quite so. However, after my uncontrolled mass-elimination of the ones I listed, along with deletion of the Realplayer folder, the GPFs have gone away.

I'm in the position (Feb 9th) of being fairly sure that the problem was linked to those files, but of being unsure which one(s) in particular were responsible.

> I've NEVER had a problem with TweakUI

Me neither, up until now. After the deletions I mentioned a few days ago, I now have a TweakUI in the Control Panel, and can't remove it. I can't use it, either, because it complains that "TweakUI should be run from the Control Panel", where sits the icon I have just double-clicked, but when I try to install it, it "can't find the TweakUI.inf file". I've essayed with re-installing it from the original EXE I d/l about a year ago, and I've tried copying the associated files into Windows and WindowsSystem and WindowsSystem32, to no avail.

> and powrprof.dll is related to changes you may have made in Control Panel Power Options.

This is my current bug-bear, but only because every re-boot greets me with "A required .DLL file, POWRPROF.DLL, was not found", and yet there are NO instances of "PowrProf" in the registry or the hard drive ("Powr*.*"). The little pop-up box seems quite certain of itself. I've inspected the various Run, Run_, RunOnce, RunOnce_ that are grouped in the registry; no sign of anything that remotely resembles an urge to run Powrprof.DLL. (Later, see attached BigAl2.BMP, I decided to rename/remove the Power*.CFG and Power.DRV files from C:Windows and C:WindowsINF and re-boot - still get the popup msgbox.)

In desperation, I turned to WilBur (indexes every darn file on the system, last created the index yesterday), looking for "powrprof".

a) It is referenced in SetupLog.TXT. I think we can discount that reference.
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] It is referenced in Zol.BAT, a little batch file I wrote to mass-rename the Powr files a few days ago. I think we can discount that reference.
    c) It is referenced in In.MBX, Eudora In mailbox, the message to which I am replying!
    d) It is referenced in c:windowsnetwork.txt dated 1999, section "Banyan Vines 16-bit Installations".
    e) It is referenced in C:windowsLayout1.inf (ah hah!) - I decide to make a copy of Layout1.inf and remove the one line that contains PowrProf. Did this in DOS, after exiting Windows, reboot, darned Popup is still there. Wilbur REPORTS it as being in Layout1.INF, but now can't display that line to me (because I've removed it)
    f) It is referenced in PowerCFG.INF, which Wilbur is, since ten minutes ago, of course unable to read.

> Internat.Exe ... setup more than one language in the Keyboard app of Control Panel?

Yes. A couple of weeks ago I was having problems with the keyboard. A change in language was suggested. I changed to one that was suggested, then changed back. I suspect that Internat was brought in at that time. I have since removed (mass purge!) all traces of it (by renaming it, actually, and dragging it to a spare folder)

> looks like you've either got some dirt bag ...

Oh, I'm convinced of THAT! Where are the clean-boots of yesteryear (there's a CowBoy joke lurking in there somewhere ...)

> a screenshot of your MSCONFIG Startup to look at?

In this message, if I've worked out how to do it. If nothing else, as an attachment.

1. Most of the items listed have been on my system for a year or more.

2. NoAds clobbers pop-up ads while I browse the web (Mozilla)
    3. Mozailla is my web browser
    4. SysTray you know.
    4. AVG is GriSoft anti-virus
    5. Deskmenu and Quickres you know (from PowerToy)
    6. EasyNotification is a mail pre-processor, lets me delete or preview messages before downloading them with Eudora.
    7. AutoWin.BAT is a regular DOS batch file that determines whether it is time to do a backup etc. Nothing exciting there, although I have attached that, too, for the curious.
    8. BigBin monitors DOS command-level "DEL"etes and diverts the deleted files to the Windows recycle bin. Yes, I can shoot myself in the foot with DOS as easily as with Windows!
    9. BackGround.EXE is a very short VB6 program that changes the background colour according to the time of day of my reboot. I can post the code for the curious.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> Internat.exe is either an expected file used for "bilingual" machines

R2, thanks for the response. In a current reply I indicated that, about two weeks ago, I DID switch to another language keyboard. I suspect that this was the real cause for the appearance of Internat.exe

> a legitimate Windows application called %windir%systemInternat.exe.

Not On My System! (I just did another check, and all traces of Internat.exe are gone).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> 1. mdm.exe is Machine Debug Manager.

Not On My System! Not any more. It may well have been part of the problem. A couple of times I've chosen the 'More details" option and be shot into Cyber-debug with Visual C++ and its trappings. It wouldn't surprise me if I were to learn that MDM.EXE got shangaied during one of those forays.

> fffef179_{A146D820-E79E-11D3-854B-00C0F0382C4B}.tmp

Windows Explorer (F3 search) shows no fff*.* files at all.

RegEdit reveals nothing "fff" except the MRU in FindSpec.

> Files are courtesy of Visual Studio,... rename the MDM.EXE

I do use Visual Studio - VB6 - from time to time. I have removed MDM.EXE

> 2. mstask.exe

Not On My System anymore. Gone bye-byes. I was feeling in a petulant consign-to-hell that day, I guess.

> 3. ... LoadPowerProfile, ... If they are coming back, you might look under the respective applications themselves

As you may read in other responses, this is the current in-my-face problem. I'm not sure what you mean by "look under the respective applications" - there is not an obvious ProgramFiles entry of folder indicating these guys.

> ... TweakUI ... try unchecking one & see what happens.

In an earlier response (today) I've indicated that TweakUI is the second in-my-face problem. I can't install it and I can't delete it.

I have removed the only occurence of TweakUI.EXE, rebooted, run TonyArts EasyClean to purge unwanted registry entries, but still can't install it, and the icon sits grinning at me in Control Panel.

I'm getting close to re-installing Windows after deleting the registry from a safe DOS prompt. Time spent (by all you helpful people) suggesting fixes, and time spent (by stubborn old me) making a list and checking it twice might be better spent by biting the bullet and doing a re-install.

Of course, that will mean re-installing my office suites and dial-up networking and Eudora, Mozilla ......

darn!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>I'm not sure what you mean by "look under the respective applications" - there is not an obvious Program Files entry of folder indicating these guys.<hr>
    Another misplaced modfier. I was referring in general to application preferences that allow you to "start application when windows starts".

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Now this is REALLY starting to bug me.

I have inspected the System.dat and User.dat in text mode, by exporting the registry and using Buerg's List.COM. Only one occurrence of "PowrProf", and it appears to be a deleted entry, or similar, in RunServices_ or thereabouts. As best as I can, I have pasted the two lines of text as they appear in List.COM.

<pre> +

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

(Monday 9pm)

I have made two changes:

1) Deleted all the RunOnce, Run_ and similar entries from the registry. I did this based on the view I had with List.Com of the system and user DAT files dumped from the registry.

The pop-up message regarding PowrProf.DLL has ceased.

2) Deleted the folder in which was TweakUI, downloaded a fresh copy, installed it, followed the de-install intructions 9at which point the icon disappeared from the Control Panel) and re-installed it.

I can now run TweakUI.

Thanks to all who made sugegstions.