2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using Remote Mail with Exchange Server (2000)

I think I have a simple question for all you smarties out there.

To use Outlook (CW) Remote mail with the Microsoft Exchange Server service, do you have to have a direct dial-in number to the Exchange server?

Our Setup:
    Our users that have laptops dial into our network and then they use Outlook just like they were on our network. (Of course if they have a bunch of new messages it's takes a while for Outlook to be available over a dialup). The dial in number is not directly to the exchange server, it's to the network.

Does Remote Mail require a direct dial up line into the exchange server?

Thanks.
    Sarah

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using Remote Mail with Exchange Server (2000)

I have used Outlook Remote Mail whilst dialled in to a RAS server on my company's network.
    I suspect this is the normal way it is used, I can't imagine many companies allowing modem's to be directly connected to the Exchange server.

StuartR

Thanks

Our users dial into a management box that is set to to authenticate permitted remote users. Once they are accepted they can log-on to the network (2000 server), the scripts then map drives and connect their mailbox.
    We do not allow direct dial devices to connect to any of our servers.
    We advise users to use Terminal Services to retrieve mail, as this is quicker than remotely retrieving mail by launching Outlook from the desktop
    Paul Coyle
    Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As an aside, I think you have a little confusion about what remote mail is. If I understand what you described, your users are not actually using the remote mail feature. They are working on line, as if they were in the office, but without the benefit of a high speed connection. Remote mail allows users to work with Outlook while they are not connected to a server. They can create new items of all types and do replies. All their work is stored loccaly in an off line store (OFT) file. When they get a connection to the server, they synchronize to send their stuff to the server and fetch new stuff. One of the advantages here is that you can control the message size and whether attachments are downloaded, potentially making for a faster experience.

The best way to go, as an earlier reply mentioned, is terminal server. With that, you are working on line, but only screen changes (pretty much) are sent across the wire. The users can access just about all applications that are published to terminal server too.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

Yes, our users are not using the Remote Mail feature. Our remote users either use OWA or use offline folders and dial up to our network working online like they are in the office.

My understanding is that the Remote Mail feature of Outlook only downloads messages and doesn't synchronize calendar, contacts, tasks, etc. And it sounds like Remote Mail feature does not require a direct line into the Exchange server. (which is good!) A dial up line into our network would work with this feature and the mail headers could be downloaded and marked for download.

We are almost ready to deploy Terminal Server to our laptop and remote users so yes, this will be much faster for them. I was just curious about this Remote Mail feature because we haven't ever used it or even researched it.

Thanks.
    Sarah