Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Spelling & Grammar check disabled (Word 97)

A friend who works at a local school had a problem on some, but not all, of their school computers. Running Windows 98 and Office 97.
    Spelling and Grammar checking used to work in Word, then it stopped working. Under Tools > Options it was not possible to select the Spelling and Grammar tab. Clicking on the spell check button had no effect.

They cleared the problem by reinstalling Office 97, so I can't even ask them to collect more information. Has anyone ever come across this before, or got any good ideas. I did search the lounge and found a couple of similar experiences, for example Post 2968

Any suggestions on what might have caused it and what information they could collect next time?

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spelling & Grammar check disabled (Word 97)

Not at all helpful, but why not leave them off? Whatever will become of the spelling and grammatical skills of our children? Word's sense of grammar is whimsical anyway.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> but why not leave them off?

Mainly because this is not a standard state school, it is an institution for kids who need a lot of extra help.

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart:
    Just a guess. If they couldn't even select the Spelling tab under Tools/Options, then maybe:
    1. It was disabled under policies;
    2. An add-in changed the behavior;
    3. Something corrupted the proofing files (although I don't know why that would cause the Spelling tab to be unavailable).
    4. Since it might be related to menus, perhaps the Data key was corrupt (although this is really a guess too).

Reinstalling Word may have cured corrupt files, "retook" the spelling from an errant add-in. I'm not sure if it replaces the Data key (it keeps the old normal.dot).
    Cheers,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fare enough - point taken. Oops - who needs spell check now? Fair enough.