New Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic update of fields (2000)

I have a simple Daily Worksheet comprising a table in which I note task(s), anticipated completion time and task status, i.e pending/done. New task rows are inserted by tabbing beyond the last table cell.

I have a field at the top of the table showing total anticipated time using the standard SUM(A:A) formula. I want this to update immediately there is a change, either on addition of a new task or amendment of an exisistng time estimate.

I would also like to be able to show task time remaining i.e. the total time for all pending tasks.

Can anybody give me any pointers?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic update of fields (2000)

It would be much easier to do this in Excel. Formulas in tables in Word were not designed with constant updating in mind. So I would recommend either creating your worksheet in Excel; if you need to include it in a Word document, you can always insert a link.

Also see the thread starting at <post#=19499>post 19499</post#>. In one of the replies, Gary Frieder suggested to use form fields in a document protected for forms; you can create macros that execute automatically when the user exits a form field.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks HansV. Problem is that Excel is not available in this instance, and neither is a locked form. I thought it might be possible to trap a tab or mouse click to run an update macro. Alternatively, perhaps a timer loop would do. Any comments gratefully received.

Regards

Philip

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi:
    First of all, the formula SUM(a:a) is very unreliable. There are a couple of approaches.
    1. One method to do this is to use ToolsCalculate instead of using a formula.
    2. The second method is to have the total row as a separate table, separated from the main one by a 1 point single-spaced paragraph.
    3. Another is to use FormFields & have the property "Calculate on exit" checked.

For a few great articles that explain these alternatives, see:
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFl...otalColumn.htm and articles listed at http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/index.html

Hope this helps,