2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ADO Index & Seek method (VB6 / SQL Server 7.0)

I'm trying to set an index over a SQL Server table that has a multi-column primary key so I can use the Seek method. I'm using ADO 2.7 over SQL Server 7.0.

It keeps generating a 'Current provider does not support the necessary interface for Index functionality...' error when I call the seek method. The recordset returns false for rsAdo.Supports(adIndex). Do I need to open the connection or recordset objects in a particular way to allow this method to work??

Any help appreciated...

Thanks

Re: ADO Index & Seek method (VB6 / SQL Server 7.0)

As you probably saw on MSKB, the only articles on this error for setting .Index refer to "linked tables" in a Jet database (Access 2000 article; Accesss 2002 article).

If that is not the problem, my ADO reference suggests two other things to check: (1)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ADO Index & Seek method (VB6 / SQL Server 7.0)

Thanks for the response, but after some further searching on Microsoft I found the following...

SUMMARY
    You can use IRowsetIndex::Seek() to quickly search an indexed column. The Jet 4.0 OLE DB provider natively supports the IRowsetIndex interface, while the Microsoft SQL Server OLE DB Provider, Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle, and other Microsoft OLE DB providers do not currently support this interface.

So, no seeking over SQL Server databases?? This is going to be a major pain for me as an application I am converting from an Access BE to SQL Server frequently uses the Seek Method....Oh well....!