2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cabling two PCs for DiskCopying

Maybe this should be on the Networking Your Home board?
    I urgently need to make an identical image of a 20GB hard disk, on a similar size of disk on another machine. Not just the files: every bit.
    It
    All help gratefully received!

Thanks

Re: Cabling two PCs for DiskCopying

Have you considered installing the (new) HD onto the original machine, dropping into DOS and copying? I would guess the time saved might be worth the hassle of opening up both machines, and you wouldn't need any other software or hardware.

What are you trying to achieve? If you are making a copy of the OS and the data is going to a machine with different hardware, you may end up with an unbootable pc.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Regarding what software you need - none. Not necessarily or maybe, but you won't like it! In Win98, open Help and search "cable connect" and it will tell you how to install Direct Cable Connect. That would supposedely take care of the software part. Then, yes, you would need either a serial or parallel direct-connect cable. As Leif pointed out, the rub is that you can't really copy certain OS files while the OS is running, unless you use a third-party program like Drive Image or whatever. I think Leif has the "easiest" route - put both drives on one machine and use DOS.....or buy a copy of Drive Image which makes it easy to copy a drive!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you really mean "Not just the files: every bit." then I don't think that there are any standard utilities that will help you.

I think that Symantec Ghost or PowerQuest DriveImage may be able to do this, but probably not across the network unless you stage your data to a file on the way.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Sydney,

I'd agree with Leif about the easiest way to copy files. Copying the data from slack & unused space will be more problematic.

It sounds to me like you're trying to get an image of the existing drive for data recovery purposes. If so, copy the files as Leif said, then remove the original disk and use the copy in its place. The original can then be sent off for data recovery.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW--I agree with Stuart about Symantec Ghost. I had a HD going bad, got replacement of same size from the PC vendor (under warranty) and installed it as a Slave in the PC and used Ghost to copy a complete image to the new disk. When done I swapped the new disk in as the master and sent the bad one packing. Machine started up just fine with all files just like the original.