Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge Interface (2000)

Hi All,

I have used the Mail Merge tool of Word at least going back to 97. The other day, a student in a class asked me about Mail Merge. I went to show her in Word 2000 (no SR) how to do this. When I clicked Mail Merge under tools, I was presented what, to me, was a strange menu - remembering the Mail Merge Helper wizard of 97 (if I recall correctly). The menu had 2 sections:
    - the top section had 4 or 5 items with entries like Form Letters, Labels, etc
    - the bottom section had 1 entry with Options.

I tried using the Form Letters but had a tough time. So I clicked the options, not expecting it to be helpful. What do you know - the MM Helper came up. No problem.

When I got home, I checked my PC. It had 2000 SR1 - probably the first version of 2000 I installed on my PC. It had the MM Helper come up immediately from Tools | Mail Merge.

Was there some change in going from 97 to 2000 w/ no SR that I (fortunately) missed? Is there something Just curous as to what's happened since 2000 SR1 (including XP, which I don't have) with this feature.

TIA

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge Interface (2000)

Hi Fred:
    I know of no change by SR-1a that changed the dialog boxes the way you describe. I have a feeling that something has been changed on the school computer, either by someone "practicing" or by a prankster. It may be that the normal.dot somehow got corrupt. I'd try starting Word at school with winword.exe /a to see if that firxes it.
    Cheers,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

thks for the response. I have a vague recollection of MS changing the mail-merge interface when 2000 came out. What I was describing was 2000 SR0 (ie, no service release). That had the menu with 2 sections where options got you the MM helper wizard.

I don't think people at the school would be playing around so much as to create an entire menu for the Tools | Mail Merge item. You never know. When I did this, it was late and we wanted to leave. I only tried it on 1 computer. Will try to give it more rigorous testing on several PCs and include your suggestions.

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

OK. Did some more checking.

I was wrong on the items contained in the menu. The Tools | Mail Merge item contained a submenu containing 2 "sections":
    - top section with 4 items: Document Type, Data Source, Select Names, Filter & Sort (it was the first entry, when clicked, that produced a selection with Form Letters, Labels, etc - I was going from memory when I wrote the original post)
    - bottom section with Options, when clicked gets the Mail Merge Helper

Again this is W2000, no SR (build 9.0.2720).

I checked a few more PCs tonight. All the same as above.

So on one PC, I dug a little deeper and found:
    - no VBA code in Normal.dot
    - nothing in Startup Folder as id'd in File Locations
    - no addins or global templates as id'd in Tools | Addins
    - no other templates in the Templates folder as id'd for templates other than Normal.dot
    - when I open Normal.dot as a template, it exhibited the same behavior as documents based on it (what a surprise)

When I start word with the /a option, the Tools | Mail Merge menu item does not have the above sub-menu; clicking the menu item produces the Mail Merge Helper directly, as it does on my 2000 SR1 system at home.

I did notice the Normal.dot on one PC was about 150KB, bigger than what a "blank" Normal.dot should be. Didn't check any other PC.

Any (other) suggestions on this behavior?

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Fred:
    If starting Word with the /a switch "cured" the problem, it has got to be either a changed normal.dot or an add-in (or com). Did you look in both startup folders (the one for Word AND the one for Microsoft Office)? I would look there and also rename normal.dot & see what happens. Although, if there are no modules whatsoever in normal.dot, I'd lean toward the cause being an add-in.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Didn't know that the Office Startup folder would affect things. Can check that but not until next week when I'm back at the school. However, this school is very simplistic. I'd almost bet that no one knows what a template is, let alone how to create a change to a menu item.

As far as renaming normal.dot, I did that on one PC also. If I recall, that came up in the same way as /a did. What it did was to prompt me for name and initials.

As far as addins go, I would assume I would see them when checking Tools | Addins. As stated, didn't see any.

At this point, I'm ready to drop this. When I do teach mail merge (in the Intermediate Class), I'll go right to the options. Last night we started the Beginner's Word and I found out that almost all the people in the class either have Word 97 or 95. Very few on 2000. If the Intermediate class is the same, then it won't matter.

Fred