Thread: Drive chatter

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Drive chatter

Two machines with 98se on them. Lately one, and now the other machine, chatters the A: floppy before doing a manually requested system level thing. Like it has to checkout the floppy before doing what has been requested. This is very annoying and I'd guess I'm not the only one with this problem. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks

Re: Drive chatter

Check this thread from the ME forum regarding entries in the MRU....

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

In the above referenced thread the answer appears to have been the shortcuts in the Start Menu 'Documents' folder -- which in Windows98 is actually located at C:WindowsRecent. There must be a related folder for Win2K-XP, but I don't know the location. [Edit: 'Cocuments and Settings your log-on nameRecent'.]

However, Al does point out that the problem may be from an "MRU" list in the registry. Since many users are not comfortable with modifying the registry, there is a simple program called "MRU-Blaster" that is designed to make this task easier. It might come in handy...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the problem IS with some document you've loaded recently, Win98 does (like WinME) have a "clear" command if you right-click the task bar and look at properties. See attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tnx for reply to all. I've cleaned out the documents file to no effect. Both machines still chatter. (went to MRU-Blaster -- download did not bring along one of the .DLLs). I'm looking for another cause -- any other ideas?
    Andy

Banned Member
    Thanks

Something I found on the net.

<font color=blue>enner (TechnicalUser) Jul 24, 2002
    How I stop windows constantly seeking my floppy drive? When I am surfing the net every time I go to a new page I hear my floopy drive for about a second or two.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dinosnake (IS/IT--Manageme) Jul 25, 2002
    Either you:

(A) have a spyware program on your system. You will have to remove it.

([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] have a shortcut in the Documents entry in the Start button that points to a file that was once on floppy. Remove it from the Documents list by right-clicking on it and select Delete.

have the floppy drive network shared. Turn off sharing.

(d) have a pointer in the History list of Internet Explorer showing a file that you once opened from a floppy. Clear your IE history list.

(e) have a very aggressive internet anti-virus program that is checking the floppy for viruses at every page access. Turn off the Check Floppy option.

(f) have a virus which is trying to write itself to a floppy disk, which it assumes is in the drive. Check for viruses. </font color=blue>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a solution I've used for the chattering "A" drive. It works if you're not on a network. I found that every time I clicked my start button, email shortcut or web browser, the "A" drive came alive and the only solution I could think of at the time was to keep a floppy disk in it. Then the chatter stopped but it was still accessed when I did the above.
    SO: As I was looking at the responses to your problem on this forum, someone mentioned shared drives etc. That led me to check out my Network Neighbourhood shortcut on my desktop.
    Try this: Right click the network Neighbourhood icon, click properties and see what is listed. I removed the Microsoft network client and changed the logon to Windows Logon. Then when I clicked OK I was asked if I wanted to continue. I clicked yes and restarted the computer.
    Low and behold, the Network Neighbourhood Icon has disappeared from my desktop and the only time the "A" drive is accessed is when I use my browser.
    That's not so bad. So I still keep a floppy in the drive but it's not so annoying anymore. If I don't use the browser, I leave the floppy out.
    Don't ask me why it works but it does for me. Perhaps it will do so for you.
    Good luck.
    Jack
    Jack

Banned Member
    Thanks

Also if you have a short cut on your desk top for your floppy , remove it from the desk top. I noticed that my Icons was refreshing everytime I turned around and the floppy would chatter. I removed the Floppy desk top Icon and it hasn't happened sence,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It should not have to " bring along one of the .DLLs" -- the download is complete as is! (It is downloaded as an installer program). If it says you are missing a DLL, then your computer is missing the DLL -- not the program.

You can always go into the registry yourself...