4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mailbox left after user deleted

How do I go about deleting mailboxs.

I have installed Small Business Server (Win 2000 server, Exchange server...) and created some user accounts to learn about the exchange server. I have deleted the user accounts BUT the mailboxs have been left in place according to the MMC. Rebooting the system still shows they are present. I can select the mailbox in the MMC but the context menu command to empty the mailbox is disabled. (For all users, not just these deleted users).
    If I go onto drive M: and into the MBX directory the unwanted directories appear in the explorer left pane, however one can't select them as the system gives a message that the directory has been removed.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mailbox left after user deleted

don't touch the m drive, it's just a virtual drive and you can mess up permissions too easily.

narmally you delete the mailboxes from the user account, before deleting the mailbox - but try this:
    expand the exchange server in the mmc - expand the one for the message stores - right click and delete the mailboxes you want deleted.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.
    Touching drive m: was a 'last resort' attempt from my side.
    I thought it (MMC) said that it would remove the mao

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi MaryJ, I've cracked it.

The context menu for the mailbox container has an option to perform a clean up of the mailboxs. After I select this the 'superfluous' mailboxs are marked with a red cross and the context menu for the individual mailbox allows it to be emptied and deleted.