5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Old drive for temp storage (Pro)

I am getting a new PC in the next couple of days (Athlon 1700, 1.43 Ghz, 128 Mb RAM, 20 GB HD) that I will be putting XP-Pro on. I have an old 1.2 GB drive that I am considering salvaging and using in the new computer - it will have to be attached for a while anyway to copy over old files. Would this be a viable candidate for a permanent swap file or Temp, Tmp & TIF location? I don't know the drive's speed, but I've had it just over 6 years now.

PS - How forgiving is XP when it comes to swapping in and out spare drives, or is this mostly a BIOS issue? In addition to the 1.2 drive I have a newer 15 GB drive that I need to copy files from before it gets recycled to another PC.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Old drive for temp storage (Pro)

It might be better to partition off a small portion of the new hard drive for your Swap&Temp files. My understanding is it would be faster access time. You could always use the 1.2 B hard drive for storage.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Cowboy,
    IMHO, I do not think that is correct. The best you could do is put the swap/temp on your fastest device if you have a choice. Most likely that will be the newest drive. Having a second partition on the same drive may only save him on fragmentation. Because of the OS queueing when accessing the same device and head movement, having a second device is usually the best option. However, a six year old drive may be slow enough to negate the advantage of a separate drive. First and foremost he should add a minimum of 128 MB RAM to the system. If he is really running multiple apps he should consider going to 512 MB total. He'll most likely see a better benefit from the memory. Then I'd play with the files.

Joe
    Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks

You might be right Joe but when I asked this same question in the Lounge a while back that was the answer I was given by tha Majority. Because most the time the main reason for having Swap & Temp files on a differant partititon is to have a cleaner Defrag.on your system partition. That is if your OS is on the fastest hard drive and the hard drive is big enough to partition off for your Swap& Temp files. My bet is , is that his new hard drive is faster then his old 1.2GB hard drive. And what research I have done on the internet on this subject has told told me the same thing, to partition off a small potion on the same hard drive, If your OS is on the fastest hard drive and your hard drive has plenty room. But thats what I have been told. Thats what I have done and it has worked really well for me. And you are right about having more Memory that is very important for a smooth fast running system. I have 768 MB of SDRAM, CPU Overclocked at 1050 MHZ from 933 MHZ. And it runs fantastic.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If the swap files are on the same hard disk but different partition, you will have a slow usage of the swap file do to the time the heads must travel to the different partitions. The only reason to move your swap files is to get a faster response, and it MUST be on a separate hard drive to achieve this. If the separate hard drive is a older but slower you MAY get some improvement.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Dave where were you, when I asked this question? So what your saying is it takes longer for the heads to travel across the same hard drive to a different partition then it takes to access a different hard drive. If thats true I need to make some changes. Does it matter if your second hard drive is an external USB? Same speed as my internal, both are 30GB Maxtors@7200RPM?

Banned Member
    Thanks

You are correct Dave I looked at several articles on the net that say the same thing, although they did not tell me if my second hard drive being external would make a differance. One thing they did say is that the fact that I have 768MB SDRAM I shouldn't ever need the Swap File. Is this true? If so will disabling it make any difference?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is this true? <font color=red>Yes</font color=red>

If so will disabling it make any difference? <font color=red>no, at some time the system may need to use a swap file</font color=red>

I have found with 256 megs or more of ram, that if I just let Windows manage the swap file things run just fine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.