2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word keeps on locking during merge (Word XP Small Business)

I just upgraded from Office 97 to Office XP Small Office edition. I have applied service packs 1 and 2 and I think Word is not very stable. Every time I run a merge, complicated or simple, I always get the "error send this to microft" message.

Anything important I should need to know in order to complete a mail merge?

Thanks,
    Maria

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Word keeps on locking during merge (Word XP Small Business)

Is your document a Word97 merge document or was it created with Word2002? Also, what is your data source - a word document, an Excel spreadsheet, Outlook contacts or an Access database? There are some significant changes in the way Word merges work and that may be confounding things as well, but Word has been pretty stable for me - the problems we ran into mostly had to do with Access database data sources.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell:

I created a new form file in WordXP. I am using an Excel spreadsheet as the data source. I am also using {DATABASE} merge code to querry on another Word document (in a table). When I removed this line, the merge goes through, when I put it back, Word hangs. I tripple checked on the merge codes and everything looks ok and still works in 97. I'd appreciate it if you can take a look at it too.

{DATABASE b "16" d "C:MyFilesTable2.doc" s

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It's harder to diagnose the problem without the exact error message. Nevertheless, you might check out this article. If that doesn't apply, you might look through this search list.
    Cheers,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil:

I'll be happy if I receive an specific error message but I don't. I only get "Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I am attaching a screen shot of the actual message.

Maybe the Word document is corrupt? Is there a utility I can use to check it out? It's a pretty large 3-column table, about 6 pages. I wonder if others have had the same problems using {Database} merge command. I will also try the merge with a smaller table and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Maria,
    Sorry for the delay in responding - but in checking the DATABASE field in Word 2002, it looks like it expects it to be a database of some description rather than Excel. In general you can use an Excel document for merges without using the DATABASE field - you simply specify Excel as the data source and find the correct spreadsheet. Never the less, the basics of what you are doing should not cause Word to crash hard. What Service Packs do you have installed - Help/About will tell you that.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell

I have applied SP2 (10.4219..4219)

I am using an Excel spreadsheet as a data source AND using a Word document (in 3-column table) on the {Database} command.

To eliminate the problem of the Word document being corrupted, I saved it as an RTF file and the file size is much smaller. The MS Word document size is 1487KB, the RTF size is 753KB. When I used the RTF file to querry the {Database} I was able to merge w/o any problems. Maybe the Word document is corrupted? Is there a utility I can use to fix it? This is really out of my league, LOL.

Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I'm having problems on my computer. If saving the file as an rtf file solved the problem, then the original file may well have been corrupt. You can save the rtf file as a Word document & see if the problem reoccurs. I don't know of any utility that will "fix" a corrupt document.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sorry about the delay in responding - an opera got in the way (see my bio).
    It does sound as if your document may be corrupted. Saving it as an RTF, then reopening and resaving it as a Word document so it remembers the merge info will fix many corruption problems. I'm surprised however at the size of the document. Do you have some pictures or graphics embedded in it?
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell:

Thank you for all the help. I made the 3-column table in Word to an Excel spreadsheet and the merge continues w/o any problems.

One quick question though. The data source of the merge is in an Excel file where a column is formatted as a fraction. So you enter 7.50 it will become 71/2. When I merge in Word, I get 7.50, not 71/2. How do I fix this in Word?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In a mail merge, you only get the values of numeric variables, not their format. Try adding a column to the Excel source that contains the formatted values as text. Say that the numbers are in column A; A1 contains the field name, so A2 is the first numeric value, and say that the formatted values will be in column B. In cell B1, enter an appropriate field name and in cell B2, enter the formula =TEXT(A2,"# ?/?") and modify the format string to your taste. Then fill down.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It looks like Hans has you on the right track. If there were a field format that would let you display data as fractions, that would be another option, but I couldn't find anything in the help files to suggest such a capability exists. So his approach is what you want.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Great! Thank you very much! Works great!