BoardFlak

WinXP StartUp - Weeding and Thinning (WinXP Home)

We just brought home a new HP Pavilion 514n with WinXP Home. As anyone with experience with HP and WinXP can likely guess, the little beast has quite a number of things starting when it boots up. Between what Microsoft wants us to see, and what HP wants us to see, and what anyone who paid HP money wants us to see, there's a whole list of running processes.

We cleared the programs/startup folder, and turned off some more things with MSConfig. There are some things, however, that are in MSConfig that we don't recognize. Can anyone recommend a good website for what might show up there and what it does? There's bound to be more than can be kicked out of the startup sequence.

It amazes me some of the stuff that is started on bootup on the off chance that it might actually be used sometime. I wonder how many seconds are lost during each-and-every bootup so some stuff starts a microsecond or two faster when you actually want it?

Thanks

Re: WinXP StartUp - Weeding and Thinning (WinXP Home)

Start with pacs-portal

Thanks

Hi, Michael ~

Take a look at <font color=blue>Black Viper's</font color=blue> configuration page.

BoardFlak

Both of these look like good resources. Thank you!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Whilst both the sites named by Leif and Bruce are very good for understanding the list of applications that are in the startup, you might want to have a look at the following site.

http://www.r2.com.au/downloads/index.html?...b95550b5c143528

The application called Start Delay seems to speed up the process of starting those items in the startup list by having the start time for them staggered. (I would like to know a Microsoft Windows programmer's thoughts on this though.) If anyone has experience or comments I would appreciate them. The application, Start Delay, seems good in theory.

Leigh