2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Doc search tool (XP SP2)

I have a huge number of documents, mostly word, html & .txt on my intranet. We currently have a page that indexes them for use by the team. I want to add a search tool that will look through them for text, properties, etc and return the set. For example, I'm looking for the instructions to patch Oracle vX.XX. It's out there, but where is it? The info might be in the .DOC properties, the text itself, the filename, etc.

Any code/tools/etc available for this?

Thanks

Re: Doc search tool (XP SP2)

Have you checked out the Search Component? It's under Insert, Web Component, Web Search. To be honest I was never that impressed by this tool in previous incarnations of FP, but I do recognize that some of its power depends on the server hosting the web.

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I wrote a NT Service in VB, that runs every night. It browses our entire website, recording each pages text into an Access Database. (Just the text that the user would see, no HTML code, etc.). Then I have an ASP page that querries that database for search results. If you are interested, I'll post that project.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Drew,

Your post from almost a year ago. You mention a tool you developed to scan all your documents on a server, and then auto-load them into an Access database, which then can be "Searched" via a web browser. Like the person who posted the original question, I too will be loading word documents on our server, either in their native .doc format, or saved as .html files. From those document my users will need the ability to "search" on them, and then pull back hyperlinked text.

Is your application still available for viewing.

Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here it is. I have no idea how easy it will be to 'plug' into a new system, though most of it is db driven, you'll still need to debug it to make sure it is working on your site correctly. The VB project itself, I originally designed to grab pictures off the web, so there is probably going to be a fair amount of unused code.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Great. Thanks Drew.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just curious if you've taken a whack at the code I posted. If so, how'd it go?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No not yet. Our I.T. department just spent some serious $$$ on 2 new web servers and are in the process of bringing them up "on-line". I've been told (kepping my fingers crossed) that I should get to work on my end of it around the 3rd week of this month. I'll keep you posted.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds like a plan. Have fun. If you need my direct email, let me know.