Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Collecting credit card numbers (XP and 2000)

I'm building a database to handle a fund-raiser for my employer, a local community college. One event is an auction, where the public may bid on items donated to the event. At the end of the event, the "high bidders" will check out and pay for the items they "won." Our volunteers will use an Access form to record the transactions. The bidders can pay with cash, check, or credit card.

I'm going to propose that this form be set up to collect (a) the amount of the purchase, ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] the method of payment, and details of the check and credit card transactions. By details, I propose we include the check number (easy--just four digits, usually) and the credit card number. That last idea gives me pause, however. I foresee security problems--we'll use the college's LAN for this entire operation, and I can see some bidders balking at the idea of our recording their CC numbers in a system that might not be entirely secure (at least not secure enough to safeguard that kind of personal information).

So, methinks, what if we just have the volunteers enter the first four digits of the card...? Anybody have any thoughts on this, before I stick my neck out? I haven't been to one of these things before, but I'm told that when a bidder pays with a CC, the volunteers simply fill out a credit card slip by hand and then take an imprint of the card on one of those common imprint machines. Is there any compelling reason to even include this kind of information in the DB? Or perhaps NOT to include it?

Now for another semi-Access question: Suppose we just record the type of card (AMEX, VISA, MC, DISC). I've seen applications where one enters the first four digits of the card number, which then causes another text box to display the type of card. That tells me that those first four digits mean something. Does anyone know where one can get a list of such sets of numbers to set up such a system? That is, which set(s) of four digits represent Visa, MC, Amex, etc.?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Collecting credit card numbers (XP and 2000)

I would agree about the security problem. The ultimate question you have to ask, in my opinion, what useful function will having the numbers in the database serve? The volunteers will have to fill out the slips and imprint for two reasons: that gives the customer a receipt and they sign it for authorization. I guess one person you should ask is the person who clears the cc through the banking system. In this case I personally think all you need is the card type.

But to the real reason I responded. The first number is what tells you which cc you are dealing with 4 = VISA; 5 = Master Card and I don't know what AMEX or Discover's numbers are.

HTH Fay

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Collecting credit card numbers (XP and 2000)

Fay: Yes, your comments and information are very helpful, and I thank you for taking time to respond.

Sometimes I have to be honest with myself and admit that the underlying reason for adding a field for the credit card information is...well, I can do it and it's cool! Working with Access is the most fun I've had in years! I just love working with this stuff! And this forum is absolutely vital! Anyway, you've confirmed my hunches. I'll probably just include a field for credit card type and forget about the card numbers. We'll have that information on the receipts anyway.