Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel/IE6 problem? (Excel 2000, IE6, Win2000)

A couple of my people are having a problem that I can't seen to track down.

There is an Excel file that we use as an order form for our company store. The form contains a macro (it's a very long form, the macro basically strips out all lines that don't contain an ordered item and then mails it to the order processor). The two women who process the forms have been using it for ... probably the better part of a year ... without problems. They both upgrade Internet Explorer to v 6 from v 5.5 a few weeks ago and now the Excel form does not work. It generates a log file and I've looked at the log file but it doesn't tell me much. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Excel but it didn't help. I took them back to their previous install of IE and the Excel file works again. The kicker is that I also have Win2000, Excel 2000 and upgraded to IE6 and don't have any problem with the form.

The only part of the log file that looks like an error message to me is the following:
    Application exception occurred:
    App: (pid=1432)
    When: 2/8/2003 @ 12:03:03.199
    Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

I looked up the c0000005 (access violation) error on Knowlege Base and it didn't really seem to help.

In more-or-less layman's terms, can anyone explain to me why upgrading IE to v6 broke an Excel file on these two machines?
    Or what further troubleshooting I can do to try to get them to IE6 and still let them use the Excel form?

Thanks muchly!
    Sue

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel/IE6 problem? (Excel 2000, IE6, Win2000)

Sue, does Jan Karel <!profile=pieterse>pieterse<!/profile>'s advice <!post=here,219654>here<!/post> help? If not, post back.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Thanks for the links. I looked at them but I don't think they apply in this situation.

The Excel files are not links and are not opening in a browser window. They are coming to the people as Excel file attachments in mail messages. The same problem occurs whether they try to double-click the attachment within the mail message, or save the file to disk and double-click it from there, or open Excel and then open the file with File - Open.

The Excel window opens, they get the prompt about enable/disable macros (doesn't matter which they select) and then before the file window opens, they get the error message about a log file being created.

Which is why I'm not seeing where the IE version should be a factor...but it obviously is because when I set them back to their previous version of IE, the Excel files worked again...

I'll check into it on their machines and see what happens.

Thanks for the input!
    Sue

Star Lounger
    Thanks

FYI ... I have checked my machine (where the file runs correctly) and both user machines (where the file does not work) and all 3 machines have the "Browse in same window" option checked.

Thanks!
    Sue

Thanks

Hi Sue,
    This is a bit of a long shot given what you've said the macro does, but are there any references set in the VBEditor that relate to IE (or Scripting as I have a feeling IE6 may update some of the dlls for that)? Is the code itself too long to post in case there's a clue in there?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rory,

The code is pretty long for posting...there are a lot of "If...Then" statements to handle special cases on the order. But there is nothing that calls any functions, libraries, or processes outside of Excel. Even the function that mails the order to the processors is just the File - Send To function inside Excel with the To: field filled in.

The only connection this form has to IE is that the spreadsheet is posted to our intranet web site. That's where people access it and fill it out.

Thanks for the input!
    Sue

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens on the machines where it fails if you first start Excel, then select File/Open, navigate to the file in question and select it, then hold down the shift key when you click on the OK button. Does the file open or does it still fail?
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, this is just bizarre...

I had taken both machines back to the earlier install of IE so that they could process the forms. In order to have them try the Shift-Open thing I had one of them reinstall IE6.

She did and the form works fine for her now.

I have no clue why but I guess as long as she has the updated IE and the form still works, I guess I won't spend more time on it.

Thanks to all who tried to help!!
    Sue