Lounger
    Thanks

Chart Title (2002)

A recent post by Kislany (222472) stated "Is there a way to have a chart title be linked to two cells? I know it can be linked to one cell (ex.=Sheet1!$A$209), however ..." I cannot get a chart title to link to a cell. When I try using Kislany's example, the chart title is "=Sheet1!$A$209", not the contents of A209. Thanks for the help.

Thanks

Re: Chart Title (2002)

Are you adding the quotes? It should not have quotes.
    Steve

Lounger
    Thanks

No, sorry for the confusion. The chart title comes out as =Sheet1!$A$209

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

First, I find it much easier to work with charts if they are on a separate chart sheet, rather than embedded onto the worksheet. But usually once I'm finished, I can change it to be an object on the worksheet. But if I need to edit, again, I make it a chart sheet again.

Second, make a chart and include a "fake" title (Chart Options, Title, Chart Title). The important thing here is to actually type some text in this box so that a chart title box is visible on the chart sheet. Now, on the chart, select the text inside the box and immediately move the cursor to the "formula bar" up top and type the formula, i.e., =Sheet1$A$209. This will replace the fake title with the contents of the cell. Do NOT type the formula inside the title box and don't attempt to type formula in the chart options dialog box.

My version of Excel (Macintosh Excel 2001) is roughly equivalent to Excel 2000 and allows me to enter the formula =Sheet1!$E$15:$E$16 to make up a title that spans 2 cells. I believe that in prior versions you had to make a separate cell that used the CONCATENATE function. Let me know if you need more info on that.

Lounger
    Thanks

Eowyn - your method also works in Excel XP. Thank you.