cursor type in ADO (Access 2000)

I would like to know in the following program

Dim dbs As ADODB.Connection
    Dim rst As New ADODB.Recordset
    Set dbs = CurrentProject.Connection
    rst.Open "select * from box", dbs, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockOptimistic
    rst.MoveLast
    rst.MoveFirst

if I have the cursor as forward only, then why the last statement (movefirst) will not cause an error?

Thanks

Re: cursor type in ADO (Access 2000)

You request a CursorType, and the provider decides what type you actually get. When specifying adLockOptimistic, my sources indicate you get the following:

<table border=1 bordercolor=black cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4 bgcolor=yellow><td>Provider</td><td>CursorLocation</td><td>LockType</td><td>Requested CursorType</td><td>Resulting CursorType</td><td>OLE DB for Jet</td><td>adUseServer</td><td>Optimistic</td><td>Forward-Only</td><td>Keyset</td><td>OLE DB for Jet</td><td>adUseClient</td><td>Optimistic</td><td>Forward-Only</td><td>Static</td><td>OLE DB for ODBC with Access</td><td>adUseServer</td><td>Optimistic</td><td>Forward-Only</td><td>Forward-Only</td><td>OLE DB for ODBC with Access</td><td>adUseClient</td><td>Optimistic</td><td>Forward-Only</td><td>Static</td></table>
    So, if you add a Stop statement immediately after the .Open call and check your Locals window under rst... what do you find?