Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Input mask--using Initial and Middle Name (2000 & XP)

I set up fields to identify donors for a fund-raiser. Fields include DonorFName, DonorMI, DonorLName. I set up input masks to enforce Proper Case, and I set field size for DonorMI to 2. It was really pleased with myself until I run into a dude who goes by his first initial / middle name / last name (as in J. William Fulbright, for example). Gr-r-r....

Of course, I could just let the default settings stand and let the user key in whatever they want, but, gee whiz.... With all the really cool things you can do with Access, I'd like to make this a little more sophisticated. Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Input mask--using Initial and Middle Name (2000 & XP)

Change your field width. It's never safe to assume that a person will never have more than a middle initial. Allow enough room for full middle names, since some married women use their maiden name as a middle name and you may have to deal with other variations on that theme.
    Charlotte

Thanks

Re: Input mask--using Initial and Middle Name (2000 & XP)

Further to what Charlotte has said, if you store the full middle name, you can always extract just the initial letter if you want it. It is a good policy to make field sizes for names longer than you think you need - I've been bitten by some Sri-Lankan names running to 25+ characters! Overstating the field size a bit does not waste resources in Access, I believe.
    Steve H
    IT Lecturer/Access Developer
    O2K SR3/O2010; Win7Pro