2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook won't recognize emails imported from Excel (Office XP Pro)

I am trying to export an Excel list of names, addresses and emails into Outlook Contacts using Office 2002. I tried opening Outlook and importing directly from the .XLS file, but ran into an error -- something about "too many fields."

So I went into Excel and saved my file as a comma delimited file. Then opened Outlook and imported that file (doing the appropriate character mapping). It imported it fine and everything looked great. Until I tried to send an email to the entire list.

Outlook will not recognize the imported email addresses as email addresses. I went into Address Book. All the emails were listed there, but none of the "display name" info. If I double click on each email address, click twice on 'email type' (changing it to internet and then back to custom), then click OK and then save and close the contact, then the display name shows up and the program recognizes the email address.

I have several hundred names, so this will be a huge task. Grrr......

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook won't recognize emails imported from Excel (Office XP Pro)

This is the only time this list has ever failed me -- no one responded.

Thanks

Re: Outlook won't recognize emails imported from Excel (Office XP Pro)

Try exporting a 'know good' set of contacts to a csv, opening this with Excel, and checking/comparing all the fields against the csv you yourself created.