Lounger
    Thanks

StartUp Folder Ignored

My Documents and Settings directory has multiple subdirectories -- two seem to affect my Windows session: All Users and my logon name (JValentine). Each of those directories has a subdirectory, Programs, which in turn have subdirectories, StartUp. The StartUp directories are supposed to control some of the programs that start with each Windows 2000 session. BUT, my JValentine/Programs/StartUp directory doesn't seem to be recognized. No matter what shortcuts I put there, they do not start. By contrast, if I put shortcuts in All Users/Programs/StartUp, those programs start. It looks like I "disconnected" my own users startup folder. Can I do anything abou this?

Thanks.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: StartUp Folder Ignored

I think I have a similar problem in Win 2k. If I open Start MenuPrograms the latest thing I've installed appears at the bottom of the list. If I then rclick the taskbar, lclick PropertiesAdvancedAdvanced the list that appears is not the one on my start menu. None of the lists in the Default Users, Default User 2k and the others corresponds to the one current on the Start Menu. I should like to be able to explain this....

Thanks

Do you have any other folders named JValentine - with an extension, maybe?

Thanks

When you say 'corresponds to', do you mean they have different contents, or have a different order of contents?

Lounger
    Thanks

I do not. I solved the problem after some effort yesterday. I deduced that the "map" to the startup folder is in the Registry under "Shell Folders." I found the Shell Folder key for JValentine and, sure enough, the startup folder pointed to All Users rather than to JValentine. I changed the registry to correct this, and now everything works fine.

Thanks for your interest in this.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

No, it's not just the order. It's usually just the last entry that is missing - and I can't find it in any of the other possible Start Up Menus either. Having seen the last message, though, I think I'll root around in the Registry.
    Rgds