New Lounger
    Thanks

Mail merging (Word XP Professional)

Word XP on Windows XP Prof. I've run into problem again- my mail merge data, amounting to 300 odd name /address file (created in Word 2000) will only merge the first 16 name/addresses with Rolladex lables and will not do anything further. I have tried resaving the file with another name but it wont work. The column headers I've used on all the databases are F1 F2 etc . The file also seems a bit 'bloated' (12,554) compared to some of my other database. With all these odd problems I'm thinking of going back to Word 2000 Help would be appreciated before rest of hair is torn out.
    Joye

Thanks

Re: Mail merging (Word XP Professional)

I don't use XP, but here are some thoughts.

(1) If there are exactly 16 records on a page (such a coincidence!), could you post your master document for review by those who do have XP? Maybe there's some obvious thing missing.

(2) Could there be something wrong with your table, such as a nested table, merged cell, etc.? My usual recommendation to "purify" a table is to convert to text and convert back. However, with address data, you might have line breaks, which doesn't work with that technique. What happens if you select and paste into Excel, check the data to make sure it lines up, and then select and paste from Excel into a new data document? Maybe just test this with the first 50 rows of data to see if it helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have seen this happen if for some reason there are blank fields in the database. Review your data and make sure that the first field in your database is the primary key record. That should ensure that Word will count the record as a record and not "assume" that it has hit the end of the database.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The fact that 300 or so name and addresses make a Word Document 12.5 MBytes suggests something is amok. Jefferson's suggestion that you convert the table to a text file delimited with tabs is an excellent one - you could also paste it into Excel, where it is a little easier to work with as the other post suggests. My guess is that your Word data document is corrupted in some way, causing things to get wonky in XP- the mail merge process was changed extensively by Word 2002, so weird behavior isn't entirely surprising - we seen some interesting problems with database sources and the new merge process.
    Wendell