New Lounger
    Thanks

Overwrote Alt-T and Alt-Z Keys (Word 2000)

In trying to make a macro for something, I named (one try) alt-t and one alt-z. After I did that, I THEN realized that alt-t is used for getting into Tools, and alt-z is undo - how do I get the original keys to work again? I delete the macros, but the keys don't revert back. Any suggestions?

Why doesn't Word warn you when you say you want to use a key that is already assigned? I learned the hard way. Is there somehow you can get a printout of what all the keys are?

Thanks anyone -- Ann

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Overwrote Alt-T and Alt-Z Keys (Word 2000)

Get a printout by choosing File > Print and changing the dropdown next to "Print what" to Key assignments.

To set the required ones back again. Go to Tools > Customize - Commands Tab - Keyboard button then navigate to the command you want and assign the key press you require.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

As far as I know Alt+Z doesn't normally do anything, so you could keep that one assigned. However, it might be best simply to reserve the Alt key for use with "accelerator" keyboard shortcuts to avoid this problem. That means that in most cases you'll be combining keys (Ctrl+Shift, Ctrl+Alt, Alt+Shift) to come up with a shortcut that isn't taken by another feature you use often.

New Lounger
    Thanks

This is a great board! Made the printout, thanks! But all it shows me are the Alt + Number keys I have created, and this Alt+T key I made by mistake. It doesn't show the Alt+Z key I tried to make. What I would like is a printout of ALL key assignments in Word.

Went into Tools, Customize, Commands, Keyboard, looking for JUST Tools - there are 42 different kinds of tools, but I want Alt+T to do just want using the mouse on "Tools" on the written menu would do - just bring up the pulldown menu for tools.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I was thinking Alt+Z was undo, but I think I have that as a macro on a real old DOS program I use, Q&A. Ctl+Z is undo in Word, right?

Thanks for the real good tip on naming macros - if I use combinations, that should help me not do this again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Select Tools/Macro/Macros...
    Select Word Commands from the "Macros in" dropdown list.
    Locate and select ListCommands in the list of names and click Run.
    You get two options; both create a new document with a table of commands and key assignments (the second option produces a much larger table).

You can also download a more complete and correct list of all commands with their built-in key assignments from Word for Windows commands, and their descriptions, default shortcuts and menu assignments on the Word MVP site.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ann:
    Just thought I'd point out something. You can make as many Alt+ combinations that you want & NOT lose any menu functionality. All you have to do is realize that Alt+ a letter or number is different than Alt, followed by a letter or number.

i.e. I have Alt+F assigned to InsertFormField. When I hold down the Alt key & press F, that dialog box comes up. If I want to access the File menu, I press & release the Alt key, & then type whatever letter I want.

Alt is one of those special keys that you can get double usage from. If you look at <post#=127986>post 127986</post#>, you can find out what you've actually asssigned a partcular combination to. You can also remove that assignment, using the dialog box. However, make sure that you're removing the assignment in the same document or template in which you made the assignment. (Check the save changes box in the lower right corner.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew, is there a way to print out a list of All Commands whether their key assignments already set up? I am asking because I have reset many of Word's automatic key assignments to what is easier for me to remember.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jan:
    The Tools/Macros/Macros/ListCommands that Hans mentioned is fairly complete. If you want to see what the original shortcut keys were before you modified them, just start Word from the command line (Start/Run) & type:
    winword.exe /a

Then you can run your ListCommands as they were "out of the box". There is also an option to run "All Word Commands".
    Cheers,