New Lounger

Numbered Bullets don't restart from 1 (Word 2000 sr-1)

Occasionally, when using numbered lists, Word will not allow you to "renumber" from "1". What gives.

Here is the scenario.

Imagine a multipaged document that contains Word provided styles, modified to my specifications. One of the styles is Numbered List.

I use Numbered List on pages 1, 3, 5 etc. Each time I reuse Numbered List, I want the numbered list to restart from 1.

Say I am on page 5, and I am entering my 3rd numbered list. The numbered list will start numbering from the previous number I left off at, say it was 8.

I want this new numbered list to start at 1. To do this I right click on the numbered list, select Bullets and Numbering and select Restart list. Generally this works.

Occasionally the Restart List radio button is grayed out, and I can't restart the list. I am not sure why this happens, nor do I know how to fix it. Sometimes if fixes itself, but I don't know why.

Any suggestions.

Uranium Lounger
    Los Angeles Area, California, USA

Re: Numbered Bullets don't restart from 1 (Word 2000 sr-1)

Hi Curt:
    Gary Frieder posted an explanation about a year ago (or more), but for the life of me, I can't find it in the Lounge now. Basically, restart is greyed out because you aren't in the same list. If you look at Bullets & Numbering..., you'll see that the template that you're using in the list gallery (those 7 pictures on the numbering tab) is different than the one above it (a different position).

At the risk of being redundant, here is what John McGhie & Dave Rado have posted on the numbering newsgroup in response to similar questions. You can find an explanation of numbering here.

By John McGhie, MVP (edited);
    You need to define your styles into your numbered list, not your numbered list into your styles. It is best if you do write a macro to do this. It needs to be a fairly fierce macro...

But to begin with, I suggest that you do the following:

1. Select the text with the bad numbering (all of it)

2. Use Format>Bullets and Numbering to set the numbering to None. Now go through all the numbered samples on the dialog and hit the RESET button on each one. This sets them back to their factory defaults.

3. Make several styles that you will next attach numbering to-one for each level.

4. Use Format>Style>Modify>Format>Numbering to choose an Outline Numbered numbering scheme. Ignore the appearance of the document at the moment: we'll fix it later.

5. Hit the Customize button. This opens you up to a dialog from which you can attach your styles to the numbering scheme. First you have to click "MORE" on this dialog until the narrow column of Levels appears down the left-hand side of the dialog.

6. For Level 1, choose a style.

7. Change the Level to 2 and choose a DIFFERENT style.

8. Change the Level to 3 and choose a different style.

Work your way down until you have defined all your numbering styles as levels of this numbered list (all the ones you use: I would be surprised if you go down more than four or five levels).

By Dave Rado, MVP (edited):
    This is a bug introduced in Word 2000; BUT don't define your styles with multiple simple lists and manual restarts, instead of defining an outline numbering scheme. Arguably it's not really a bug, it's more a case of Microsoft saying: "Hey, you're not supposed to do it that way!"

Firstly, here's how to reproduce the problem:

1) Start Word with winword /a, or rename

2) In a new blank document, create a simple-numbered style, (call it StyleABC), by selecting Format + Style + New, call it StyleABC, select Format + Numbering, click on the "Numbered" tab, reset all the options, and select the left-most option in the bottom row (A B C); click OK, OK, Apply.

3) Type some text, press Return and on the next paragraph apply the built-in style List Number. Type some text and press Return a couple of times and then apply the StyleABC style to the next para, and then some more List Number paragraphs, so you get:

A. StyleABC
    1. List Number
    2. List Number
    3. List Number
    B. StyleABC
    4. List Number
    5. List Number
    6. List Number

Now click on number 4 and select Format + Bullets and Numbering, and notice that the "Restart" option is greyed out.

Note, however, that the "Restart" option is NOT greyed out. if the intervening numbered style is an Outline Numbered style; only if it is simple-numbered.

If you then open the document in Word 97, you CAN use the "Restart" option, so this behaviour is new.

But don't define several simple lists for this, instead of one outline list. Even in Word 97 this makes no sense, although, Word 97 lets you get away with it.

The way in which your styles should *always* have been defined, IMHO, is as follows:

1. First define the styles that will make up your outline to have NO numbering (Format + Style, + Modify + Format + Numbering + None). Then make sure the definitions of all aspects of these styles *other than* their numbering are as you want them - i.e. the Paragraph properties (but not including the hanging indent, which is a Numbering property) and the Font properties.

2. Select Format + Style, select the top level style and click Modify + Format + Numbering. Click on the Outline tab.

3. Reset all the existing items on that tab by clicking on the Reset button (except any items for which that button is greyed out).

4. Select an option in the bottom half of the dialog, then click Customise + More. (which option isn't crucial).

5. At the top left of the Customise dialog, the Level will be to 1. Where it says "number style", change it to "A, B, C" or whatever you want. Set the "number position", "text position", and "follow number with" as appropriate, and where it says "link level to style", select "your level one style".

6. Now WITHOUT CLOSING THE DIALOG (this is the most important bit; you MUST define the entire outline in one go), select "level 2" at the top left of the dialog. Where it says "number style", change it to "1,2,3". Set the "number position", "text position", and "follow number with" as appropriate; where it says "link level to style", select "your second level style". Make sure "Restart numbering after level 1" is checked.

7. Now WITHOUT CLOSING THE DIALOG, select "level 3" at the top left of the dialog. Where it says "number style", change it to "a,b,c". Set the "number position", "text position", and "follow number with" as appropriate; where it says "link level to style", select "your third numbering style". Make sure "Restart numbering after level 2" is checked.

8. Now WITHOUT CLOSING THE DIALOG, select "level 2" again; you will find it's lost it's link to the style (this is a bug). Where it says "link level to style", select "your second level style" again. Select "level 1" again; and where it says "link level to style", select "your first level style" again. Then check all three list levels once more, and make sure they are now all securely linked to their styles (they usually "take" second time round).

9. One final thing to make your numbering more stable: where it says "Listnum field list name", type a name (E.g. "Name of List"). This greatly reduces the changes of getting "spaghetti numbering".

Now and ONLY now, is it safe to close the dialog.

Your numbering will now restart automatically, without any need to use manual restarts (that's the whole point of using outline lists).

If you subsequently want to fine-tune your definitions, ALWAYS click on a list level 1 (in this example "ATD Table A") paragraph, even if you want to fine tune a lower level only. And always redefine the STYLE. NEVER use the Format + Bullets and Numbering menu. Then in the Customise dialog, you can click on whatever level(s) you want to customise.

That method will give you *relatively* stable heading numbering. (Heading numbering seems to be much less prone to Word's nefarious numbering bugs than list numbering - for the gory details of the bugs, see:

If you need 100% stability, though, you'll need to define your styles using VBA.