New Lounger
    Thanks

ADO linked tables (Access 2000)

Hi Woody's Lounge,
    I need to make a connection from one Access database to another Access database. Currently they have two separate databases that both have their clients and contacts in them. What they do is add the clients to the main dba then about once a month add the same clients to the second dba. I was going to create a linked table from the main dba to the second dba. In ADO you can set your connection object to read only and add a linked table, but in the second dba you could still modify the data through the linked table. Is there a way to link the table as read only so that you could NOT modify any data.

Thanks,
    Jon

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ADO linked tables (Access 2000)

Are these databases split into front end (forms, queries, table links to the back end, etc.) and linked back end (local tables and no interface elements)? If there is a network involved, you would be better off splitting the database and linking both front ends to the same back end. A link between the two databases would give you two sets of clients and contacts in the second database and that would be hard to manage regardless of the kind of connection you used. What exactly are you trying to achieve here and what kind of environment are you operating in? Do you have a network and if so, what kind? Are these completely independent machines at different locations? The more detail you provide, the easier it is to give you a useful answer.

ADO may be a red herring here, because it can be used to create a link, but a physical link is still a persistent ODBC connection. If you're talking about a code connection where you open a recordset on a remote database without an ODBC link and do something with the data, that's different and you would need to explain more about what you're trying to do.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

The two databases are Access. The main(DBA1) one is Access 97 and it is the back end of a time tracking application. The front end is in VB. I do not have the source code for the application. The other (or DBA2) database is an Access 2000 application that was developed by a previous staff member at our firm. It currently has its own tables (not linked). Dba2 was developed to handle mailing and other info on contacts that is not stored in the main application. After a client was added to the main (DBA 1) someone else would have to add the same client into DBA2 to keep it up to date too. At the time they did not know any other way to do it. Instead of having two parallel systems which are really never up to date, I want to create a link for some of the tables in DBA1 to DBA2. This way they will be able to have a current client list in DBA2 as soon as a new client is added to DBA1. But I do not want them to be able to change the data in DBA1, just read/view the data or use it in queries or reports, mailings etc. There is a network involved (WAN very fast - the databases are on separate servers ) it's all Microsoft operating systems. I haven't used ADO much, mostly DAO and I don't need to use ADO, I could just link the tables using Get External Data | Link . I thought using ADO and a connection object I might have more control. Hope this makes it more clear.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Using ADO and a connection object would give the developer more control but only in code. If you create a link, it's an ODBC link If you create a form in your database and bind it to an ADO recordset (rather than directly to a table or query) by setting its recordset property (instead of its recordsource property), the form will be read-only because forms in an MDB bound to an ADO recordset are automatically non-updateable. Would that serve your purpose? It wouldn't keep people out of a linked table if they can get to the database window though, so you might want to populate it from a recordset created in code using a remote connection instead of an ODBC link.
    Charlotte