Lounger
    Thanks

Dos Prompt (XP SP1)

I am trying to run Norton Ghost in SystemWorks 2002, and I have made the boot disc but when I restart, hit F8, it shows only A as a choice for boot-up. It then runs the program on the floppy and then stops. I have tried running Ghost from the Prompt inside Windows but I get the message that it won't run in NT. All I have read here, is, I think, about using the command line inside Windows. I have sent a request to Norton and they haven't responded yet but I wondered if someone here had an idea on this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Dos Prompt (XP SP1)

Don't hit F8. Let the system boot from the floppy. Then start Ghost.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, thanks for the reply, but it didn't work. I got a reply from Norton and have been trying to sort out their info. They said that I might have to use MS-DOS instead of PC-DOS, so I took my copy of Win98 Startup Disk and copied it onto the Ghost disk, but that hasn't worked either. Maybe tomorrow I will try to sort out this DOS version thing and see if that will somehow make it work. This shouldn't be that major a deal, but it sure is turning into one. If you or anyone else has any ideas, they would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you running NTFS and is it suppose to work with NTFS?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

No, I'm running FAT 32 and it is supposed to be compatible with that. All the rest of the SystemWorks programs work fine. Sorry I forgot to mention the file type.

Administrator
    Thanks

You can boot from your DOS disk. Then switch disks to run Ghost.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

Well good luck with Symantec support. I've not had good results with them. And that is trying not to 'go off on a rant'.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, Joe you were right about getting much info from Norton. After a couple of responses they told me to talk to Microsoft or my computer builder, which is me. So after using my Win 98 startup and not getting Ghost to run, I copied the Win 98 files together with Ghost and that didn't work. I got the message that I had to have Go Back drivers also, so I copied them and still it doesn't work. So I decided to forget it for now.

I still would like to know how to get a command prompt before Windows opens like you could in 98. How can you get into Safe Mode or do several other things that you have to do outside Windows? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Administrator
    Thanks

Well I really do not like being right about Symantec. One can always hope that someone else may have a better experience. You can not get to a command prompt before Windows opens to do what you want. The only semblance of that is the recovery console which is strictly for use when your system is not bootable or has other sever problems and you wish to run a recovery install. When you are booting hitting F8 should bring up an extensive boot menu with safe mode being one of the options. You can do some things in safe mode just because so little is loaded. What procedure did you use to create your boot disk? I've never had a problem booting with a Win98 boot disk and then running Ghost.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I tried just using the Win 98 boot disk and then going to the Ghost boot disk. I have GoBack loaded and that seems to be the problem. Maybe I'll have to uninstall first, although there should be a better way. I don't know. I will play with it some more sometime. Thanks

Thanks

Ken,
    One thing is for sure. You must disable GoBack before attempting to do anything like a DOS boot or even a re-install. GoBAck will get in the way of anything before Windows loads, so just click on disable in the GoBack menu and try to reboot.
    There are also XP boot disks available instead of Win98 or other Win9X types.
    In Addition, do you have the latest ver 3.x of GoBack?

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,
    I've been looking for a way to make an XP boot disk from XP but haven't found where yet.. Can you tell me please?
    Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks

Thanks

Leif beat me to it. See above, although I'm not sure it's the same one I was thinking of.
    It creates a 6 disk set of bootable floppies for XP. SP1, and loads a whole flock of drivers to give you more than just the basic boot. You can find it here at MS downloads.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results...;DisplayLang=en

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to the both of you. The basic boot disk is what I was looking for but it's good to know about Leif's info.