New Lounger
    Thanks

Briefcase probs on boot-up

When I boot up my PC and also when I shut it down, I get the following annoying message in a large message box:

Briefcase is making your file replicable so changes made to one replica can be synchronized with changes made to the other replica. Your database functions will continue to function normally; however, the size of the database will increase, and you may see additional fields in your tables.
    Do you want to continue - Yes No Cancel

If I press Yes it attempts to update an MDE file which has some updating software on it, and fails, since you cannot make an MDE file replicable.
    So every time I close down or boot up I have to click No or Cancel to this message

Do you know how can I stop the message happening every time I start or shut down??

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Briefcase probs on boot-up

I have never used the Briefcase feature of windows, and I haven't used 95 in quite a while (though I think I have it running on a test machine here or there). But it looks like no one has responded, so my suggestion would be to uninstall the briefcase from Windows (Add/Remove Programs), and then reinstall it. That should clear everything out.

Just a thought.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion Drew. Briefcase is not part of Windows, it
    is a function of Access. I have Access 2000 and Access 97 operating on my PC
    I have not created any databases using Briefcase, since I have no need for it.
    I have no idea why it started to activate itself during windows startup and shut down procedures.

Here is a description of Briefcase from Access's help screen.
    " Synchronize a replica by using Briefcase
    Synchronization is the process of updating two members of a replica set by exchanging all updated records and objects in each member. Two members are synchronized when the changes in each member have been applied to the other member. "

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I could swear that if you go into the Add/Remove Programs, then to Windows (setup/files/programs...it's the middle tab if I remember right), that there is a briefcase there that you can 'install/uninstall'.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sorry, but briefcase IS part of Windows and has been for some time.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Apologies to all. Yes briefcase is part of windows!! I cannot find a reference to it anywhere in Settings | Control Panel | Add Remove programs.
    I found a folder called WindowsSendTo with a short cut called "My Briefcase.lnk" which points to C:WINDOWSDESKTOPMy Briefcase. This target file does not exist.

My problem remains, why is briefcase self-activating on open and close of Windows? I have never tried to access Briefcase or activate it or install it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When you are in the Add remove programs window, click the middle (from what I remember) tab, it should say Windows Setup, or something like that. If I remember right, the Briefcase isn't listed as a main item. It is an 'item' of one of the items listed though. Probably 'Accessories'.