2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting a Chart data table (xp)

I have a chart which I shows the data table beneath it. All the lines in the table are the same weight. I want to be able to make some of the horizontal lines bolder than the rest.

Any ideas how I do this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formatting a Chart data table (xp)

I don't think the chart model has changed a lot since Excel 97 (which I use). What you want is not possible there - the only things you can set are the overall border style for the data table, and whether this is applied to the outline, horizontal and/or vertical lines. In VBA, there are corresponding properties (Border, HasBorderOutline, HasBorderHorizontal and HasBorderVertical), but nothing more. So from the user's viewpoint, the data table is a single object whose elements cannot be formatted individually.

You could put the chart in a worksheet and create your own data table below it, but it will be difficult to format correctly if the number of categories changes.

Thanks

Hi Matt,
    As far as I'm aware, there is no way of formatting individual lines in a data table. You can choose which to display and what weight to give them but not individually.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the confirmation.

I did try using the draw line tool to put a bolder line in the relevant places. This looks OK on the screen but not when printed - typical!

Thanks for trying.

Thanks

One thing I do for XY scatter is to make a datatable of my data and format it the way I want.
    I use the camera tool to make a "picture" of it and then paste the picture onto the chart page.

If you data will change, you can define the range for the picture to a named range, and have the name be variable using something like OFFSET so as the range grows the "Picture" size changes to match the data.

Steve