3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

problem using Access remotely (Access 2000 9.0.3821 sr-1)

I have been trying to use my home computer (XP Pro) to connect to my office server (Windows 2000) in order to use a file in Access. I have mapped the drive to my office computer and have successfully logged. I can open Word and Excel files that are on my office pc, but when I open the Access program, it tells me it can not open it because it is not from a "trusted site" or on my "local network". I know its safe, but how do I disable this safety feature. In vain, I added the ip address to my computer to my "trusted sites" on Internet Explorer, but no luck.

Help!!!!

Rick

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: problem using Access remotely (Access 2000 9.0.3821 sr-1)

I had hoped that someone could shed more light on this than I, but so far nobody has, so... I would suspect your issue is with XP Pro and it's security patches. You don't indicate what method you are using to connect to your office server, but I presume it is VPN. Even if you successfully opened the Access program, you would find performance is woefully slow. A better solution would be to use one of the remote control apps such as PCAnyWhere, or Windows Terminal Server. These apps basically send keystrokes and screen updates instead of moving all the forms, reports and data across the link. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure of what I am using to connect. On my home computer I mapped a drive to the ip address of my office server. Is that VPN?
    I would like to use Windows Terminal Services. I know it is on my office pc because I recall seeing it.
    Is that a hard thing to configure or do?

any help is appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Unfortunately I've not set it up, though I have used it over a DSL connection to a T1 linked site, and it was pretty usable. I do know that you have to install a client program on your PC, and you have to activate the service on the Windows 2000 host PC - I believe it can be a Pro Workstation or a Server version.
    Wendell