Thread: Install program

New Lounger
    Thanks

Install program

When i am going to install a program such as turbotax into win2000pro and am required to close all running apps. do i need to leave anything running at all such as in win 98 you leave systray and explorer running? Would appreciate your help. Thanks!

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Install program

The only thing I really ever close is my Anti Virus. Things that are down on the bottom right corner of the screen if you want to shut them down just click on them and click exit. When you reboot those programs will be back up and running again. And make sure there are no programs open on your desk top. Now with that said some may have different views. I have installed more programs on Computers then I can count and I very rarely shut anything down except my Anti Virus Program. But I don't turn off my Anti Virus protection when I'm downloading from the Internet because thats when you want the protection.And I have never had any problems with those loaded programs.

Thanks

I only close things I wouldn't want to freeze. For example, MS Office applications and IE. I usually leave my antivirus program and the system tray items running. If the installer has a problem, I'll be more accommodating, but frankly it's rare that an installer wants to update a file I'm actively using. I also don't necessarily restart my computer right away if it tells me I have to do so before running the new program. I might need to check e-mail one more time or something. I guess I'm a troublemaker... but I think a lot of those warnings are overblown.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have NOT turned OFF anything in a LONG time, and have NOT had any install problems [Knockingonwood]. This has been on 98FE, 98SE Me, 2K, XP Pro (beta and production) and XP Home.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies, wanted to make sure before I went ahead and loaded.

Thanks again for your help!