2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installed network, can't save (FrontPage '98)

I recently installed a LAN and broadband Internet service, with firewall protection through a D-Link DI-604 Router and Norton Internet Security. I am using FrontPage '98 with the Personal Web Server that is an add-on in Windows '98. Now, even after a restart and even after shutting down Norton Internet Security, I get an error message when trying to save pages in the FrontPage editor to a Frontpage Web *on the same computer*:

Norton Internet Security's information applet doesn't record any problem. The error persists even if I disable Norton Internet Security.

The FrontPage log gave me the following messages (including indecipherable characters as they appeared in the log).

15 Feb 2003 11:15:32 -0500: Error #40006 Message: RPC syntax error: expected "=" after "L?&f?R=))??Jfo7%??IL?RS3z)=)?oJJf%7?? .
    ?5?>sOc???0 4"
    but saw "?;???SyY?ff?.m-??r?F f?2 8 ud???$ Ee?}&??h?$?6? instead.
    15 Feb 2003 11:15:32 -0500: Error #4000a Message: An unexpected error occurred accessing your FrontPage web files. Authors - if authoring against a web server, please contact the webmaster for this server's site. WebMasters - please see the server's system log for more details.
    15 Feb 2003 11:15:32 -0500: Received empty response from Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions

I am both author and Webmaster. enabled the log in the PWS control panel but I don't know what its name is or where it is on the computer. No shortcut to it is provided.

This problem makes it completely impossible for me to use FrontPage. Can anyone please help me?

Thanks

Re: Installed network, can't save (FrontPage '98)

I'm wondering if you should uninstall/reinstall the server extensions, it is one of those "can't hurt - might help" things. I'm a bit rusty with FP 98 - but I'll drag out my references on how to do it if you need assistance.

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice. The problem has gone away at least for now. I opened up Norton Internet Security and set Internet access by FrontPage always to Permit All.

I am still getting multiple requests to allow an application called MPREXE.EXE to "access the Internet" when I open or save FrontPage files that are located on my own machine.

Well, look on the bright side. The broadband Internet Access is really nice for checking into Woody's Lounge!

I had similar problems earlier when using Zonealarm, but they were intermittent. Also, ZoneAlarm allowed me to make the distinction between local and WAN access for each application; I can't see how to do that under Norton Internet Security. The four options it offers are Permit All, Block All, Automatic (the previous setting for FrontPage which didn't work), and Ask.

Thanks

mprexe.exe has to do with networking and passwords - one description I came across described it as:
    "Windows Routing Process. The Windows Routing Process Routes incoming network requests to the appropriate network provider"

Is it possible that FP is checking the validity of any hyperlinks you might have on your pages? - or do you see mprexe at work opening or saving any page?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In reply to Leif, the MPREXE.EXE warning came up once when I went to save a page but several times when I went to open a page (probably once for the page and once for each of several embedded graphics).

I don't know what it is checking for; the graphics contain no links to check. I am of course logged onto Windows so I can use the LAN and WAN.