New Lounger
    Thanks

O2k upgrade to SR1a (O2k Premium/WinXP Pro SP1)

Help!!
    When I try to upgrade O2k to SR-1a it halts with an error which says that FM20.dll cannot be upgraded. O2k in its original form works perfectly but I cannot upgrade. Anyone any ideas???

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: O2k upgrade to SR1a (O2k Premium/WinXP Pro SP1)

It could be that FM20.dll has become corrupt somewhere along the line. Try having the current version do a 'repair' and see if that fixes things. Alternatively, see if you can locate the original in the installation CDs (probably buried in one of the CAB files, from where you'll need to extract it) and copy that over the current copy/copies.
    Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Copied the original FM20.DLL from CD1 and ran SR-1 setup again - failed at the same point. I copied the error message and have attached it. Had no problems when I originally used the same CD's etc with Win 98SE, but cannot upgrade now I am using Win XP Pro.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

OK,

Now the problem is clearer. The FM20.dll has already been updated to a later version, so the SR1 update recognises this and is letting you know it can't update it. You should be able to press CANCEL and have the update continue.

I haven't been able to find anything about this in the MS KB, or in other posts here so, if your update is failing when you press CANCEL, this seems to be an isolated problem. In that case, the following might get you out of trouble, though I wouldn't recommend it and I'm not even sure if XP's file protection system will let you. Besides, it might point to some deeper-rooted problem on your PC.

What you could try is to make a backup copy of the current FM20.DLL, then delete it from its current folder. Then, if that works, restore the file after the SR1 update has finished. This will replace the SR1 version with the current one.

Hope this helps
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Pressing cancel, cancels the upgrade totally, this error seems to stop SR-1 being loaded full stop. The FM20.DLL file came from the original Office disks, so it cannot have been updated. Will try deleting it and see what happens.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does this MSKB article help at all? It might at least suggest which application is using the dll.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

It worked after removing FM20.DLL + tmp files from Config.msi

Thanks for the ideas!