New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost my auto inserts in the footer. (Word 2000 (9.06926 SP-3))

In the footer the box showing the auto insert (such as file name, Date, Page # of #, etc. ) only opens just a very small box opens with nothing in. it. In the Header, In files that already have a header I can only auto insert my signature. The only thing that maybe connected is that I had scanned in a article and put it in word via a HP scanjet 5370C and word had an error and it close Word, the day before I noticed my auto insert gone. Any ideas on how to get the auto inserts back?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Lost my auto inserts in the footer. (Word 2000 (9.06926 SP-3))

I think that the autoinserts you are talking about are autotext entries that are available to the current style (header / footer).

If you have lost these, it is because you have cleaned up the rubbish that microsoft thought you should have in your Normal template - or you have lost contact with that Normal template. Have you recently changed where your User Templates are located? Check under Tools > Options > File Locations.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

I did create a new Normal template, as I want it to come up with file, Page # of #s and date printed in the footer. I for the life of me could not figure out how to modify the Normal.dot itself. So I just make the changes and saved it to a normal1.dot and then changed the Normal.dot to normal2.dot and then normal1 to normal. All worked fine for months then something happened.

I did just open Normal2.dot and the auto text insert is there.

So I can copied it back. How do I get a normal template to then come up with the file, Page # of #s and date printed in the footer everytime???

Thanks for the help!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you are happy with your new Normal and just want to add some of the autotexts to it then the process to copy in these autotexts is:
    1. Open the Organiser: Format > Styles > Organiser
    2. Click on the Autotext Tab
    3. Open the old Normal on one side and copy the items across that you want

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmmm... did was you said. in the old normal it has all the auto inserts I want. I open the old and then had the normal. open on the right and copied them across. Now i have more than before but it is only a list of my sigs that I use for Outlook email.

but if I open Normal2 the Orig. it has the original stuff...

Ok... any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You need to identify exactly which autotext entries you want, what they are named and where they are stored. I can't help you with that as I don't have those files.

You also need to come to terms with how an autotext entry may be hidden according to the style that the cursor is currently sitting in. If you do a search in this forum for autotext and style you should find enough information to show you some of the areas to look at.

I believe that the list you see in the Headers and Footers dialog are either sensitive to the current style or whether you have selected a header or a footer.

A simpler solution would be to revert back to using the original Normal and updating the page setups and content to that in the new Normal.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Let me add one thing. When you want to change your normal.dot, here is what I suggest.
    1. Go to Windows Explorer & locate normal.dot.
    2. Select it & make a copy (fastest way is to hold the Ctrl button down & press C,V).
    3. Rename your copy something like normal.bk1. Now, if something happens that you don't like, you at least have a backup.
    4. Hightlight normal.dot & RIGHT click & choose Open. This opens normal.dot, rather than a new document. Any changes you make can now be saved directly to normal.dot.

You can delete all your Autotext entries & add them back in from the backup that contains what you want. If you place the filename, date, etc. in a footer & save the changes, your new documents based on normal.dot will reflect those. Don't be afraid to make backups of normal.dot as you progress. That way if something goes wrong, you don't have to start from scratch.

Hope this helps.