Lounger
    Thanks

MSN Messenger (5.0)

Hi,

I am unable to get any of the sharing programs (Whiteboard, Application Sharing or Remote assistance) to function. Audio, Video and file transfer are no problem. I use XP pro and my partner uses XP Home with a router (in DMZ). We've tried both Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger.

Here's the error message I receive: To ensure that Remote Assistance, Application Sharing, and Whiteboard work in MSN Messenger version 5.0 or later, please upgrade Windows Messenger to version 4.7 or later. To find out where to go to upgrade, please click the Help menu above, click Help Topics, and search using the word "upgrade".

Thanks in advance... and greetings from Nuernberg, Germany.

Randy

Thanks

Re: MSN Messenger (5.0)

Were you able to upgrade to V4.7 or better? Did you find it in the help section?

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks

I am using MSN messenger v 5.0.0543 and so is the other party. Yes, we also have Windows messenger 4.7. Microsoft help suggests that if you have both Windows and MSN messenger, you make sure that both are closed, then turn one on and the problem is solved. We've tried MSN messenger, then tried Windows messenger, but neither will allow sharing. Video and file transfer works in either.

I suspect the the problem is somehow related to my partners router/firewall.

Lounger
    Thanks

Another thing... We are making some progress! I just downloaded the latest version of Windows Messenger, 4.7.0105 and am now able to generate (i.e. launch) the sharing application. However, we are still not connecting. An error message reports that the "attempt to connect failed. Try again." It doesn't matter which party initiates the invitation, the error message displays a failure to connect.

Randy

Thanks

Have you gone into StartHelpSecurity & Privacy, to check BOTH machines settings for file sharing and protocols?
    Since you are at least getting to the point of launching the sharing app, it would seem that you are blocking the connection, most probably at the connecting end.
    There are a lot of options to check out in this help section, so I would logically try one at a time till you hit the right one.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

I have had the same problem and found it to be an issue with my firewall. If I didn't have it turned on, then I would get the connection failed or error message. I had to exit the Messenger (right-click the icon in your tray), turn on ZoneAlarm, then restart Messenger. Now it works perfect in both MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger.